RSLogix 5000

That's $$$$$. OP, since you already know 500 from your other posts here. Transition to 5000 isn't that much different than 500.

This may be a minority opinion here but I don't think home study PLC programming would be effective without actually doing it for real. Unlike programming for a smart phone or office apps, the most difficult part for automation programming is understanding how to translate a process into programming and you also have to adjust the process at times so that it can be controlled.

If you are already working in a plant, just ask for opportunity to work on small program or part of a larger programming project.

At this point I just want to learn & understand RSLogix 5000. There must be something less $$$ than the RSLogix Emulator to study & practice programming.

it's even worse than you think ...

if I understand correctly, even if you had the emulator you still wouldn't be able to learn RSLogix5000 ...

all that the emulator does is pretend that it's a hardware system (chassis, processor, input, outputs, etc.) and you'd still need a separate package of RSLogix5000 in order to program the emulator ... without RSLogix/Studio5000, the emulator alone would be useless ...

if I'm wrong, someone please correct me ...

Last edited:
if I understand correctly, even if you had the emulator you still wouldn't be able to learn RSLogix5000 ...

all that the emulator does is pretend that it's a hardware system (chassis, processor, input, outputs, etc.) and you'd still need a separate package of RSLogix5000 in order to program the emulator ...

if I'm wrong, someone please correct me ...

mmarch10

As Ron said you will need the software to use the emulator and IMHO the emulator is not all that great. It's good for basic things but beyond that not so much.

You need the RS Logix 5000 software which is the real cost but if you have access to it or your work place maybe has several licenses see if you can borrow one to learn with. A lot of places will have hardware setup to train and to test things on and you can always rob the training rig to fix a machine in a pinch.

You will also need hardware and for that you can look on ebay for compactlogix or controllogix gear but compactlogix gear will be cheapest and can do most things the controllogix hardware can do just not as fast and as much.

I am starting a new position in a couple of weeks, and I am confident that I will have a laptop w/RSLogix 5000 on it. I have a lot of literature on RSLogix 5000, which I am beginning to study, but I really want & need to be able to practice hands-on programming. I just can't believe that there really is not much out there in reference to this need. If I continually run into a dead-end I will probably take P. Buchanan's advice and buy a used CompactLogix, build a board of input & output devices, and use that to practice/study. In fact as I write this I am likeing that idea more & More by the minute.

https://www.plclogix.com/

This is the only simulator I know of for 5000, but I have never used it, so I can't give you any idea of how well it does or doesn't work. There is a 15 day free trial version, but again, I have no hands on experience with it.

Will.

I am starting a new position in a couple of weeks, and I am confident that I will have a laptop w/RSLogix 5000 on it.

I'm sure that by now you realize how big a blessing that is ...

I have a lot of literature on RSLogix 5000, which I am beginning to study

that won't hurt – and it will help - but you've already realized that reading alone will not be enough ...

but I really want & need to be able to practice hands-on programming.

it's sort of like learning to play the piano ... NOTHING beats banging on the keys ...

I just can't believe that there really is not much out there in reference to this need.

oh, you can believe it alright ... this is not the cheapest – nor the easiest – trade to break into ...

If I continually run into a dead-end I will probably take P. Buchanan's advice and buy a used CompactLogix, build a board of input & output devices, and use that to practice/study.

I also STRONGLY recommend that course of action too – IF (big IF) you can get your hands on a copy of the RSLogix5000 software ... THAT is the biggest (most expensive) piece of the puzzle ...

once you've got the RSLogix5000 software – and a working setup of ControlLogix or CompactLogix hardware – then you can do a LOT of learning by running down to Lowes and picking up a handful of wall switches to use for your inputs ... they should cost about $0.59 each ... just nail them to a piece of ¾ inch plywood and wire them up ...

for outputs get a string of Christmas lights ... not the tiny little ones – but the old-fashioned kind that pull about 4 watts each ... cut the string apart so that you leave a "pigtail" on each socket – then use a hot-glue gun to stick the sockets to your plywood ... you'll have to lengthen the pigtails to reach the PLC – but that's just scraps of lamp-cord wire and tape ... you should be able to come up with about 50 lamps – and 50 sockets – for about $3.50 total ...

note that some guys like to build a professional-looking electrical panel for this – and yours is going to look like a middle-school science fair project ... who cares? ... you're trying to learn PLC skills right? – not panel-building skills ... (not that there's anything wrong with that) ...

if you're using the Christmas lights for outputs, I highly recommend that you put a 100 watt incandescent light bulb in series with the "hot" wire of your power lead ... this will prevent any arky-sparky events in case you accidentally short-circuit a couple of wires together while you're experimenting ... you'll have to look for the 100 watt bulbs – they're only available now only as a "specialty" type for "rough service" ...

if you'll go at it my way, your whole budget for plenty of "real world" inputs and outputs should be about $20 – and cost you just a couple of hours to knock together ...

let us know when you work your way up to analog signals ... we've got ideas for that too ...

good luck with your training ... TIP: if it ain't fun – then you're doing it wrong ...

Last edited:
Good Morning, Folks!

I first want to Thank You all for your unselfish help & support! If there is one thing that I've learned through your responses & insight, it is that this website is one of my greatest resources in my quest to become more knowledgeable in PLC code interpretation & programming. I am very excited in moving forward in this area! Having strong & knowledgeable people like you at my fingertips has diminished all of the little reluctance that I had for moving forward in this area at age 53.

Sincerely,

Mike

mmarch10, chiming in late, and looks like you've gotten a lot of good advice here already! However, I wanted to let you know that I've recently started a website at http://www.myplctraining.com/

I have recently begun a 4-part blog post series for beginner's on PLCs. Sounds like you have some PLC experience already? But it may provide some value you to you!

I write program for machine control. sequencing operations. close lid,,,start pump,,ect.

My first program was a flop, in the middle of a wash cycle, couldn't tell you why, the 30 foot lid opened up, sprayed one of the engineers pretty good ( 1000 gpm pumps good thing it was only water). I soon learned about interlocking. Took about a week to work out all of what i thought was good programming. After all it worked on the simulator perfectly.

Actual machines have a way of bring out the bugs, alot better then sims.

Good luck to you in your new Career.