ISSUES with getting Panelbuilder32 working?

Kbgol1

Hello I'm trying to get my panelview550 2711-B5A1 connected to a slc/503 processor through RIO connection. Not sure exactly whats going on here.

You don't mention how you will connect at RIO Panelview (B5A1) to a CPU which does not have RIO. Then you mention a K5A5 (DH485 protocol over RS232).

You mention
connect my slc/503 to my cpu

The SLC/503 IS the CPU. how are you 'connecting' them? By 'cpu' do you perhaps mean your PC?

I'm a bit confused.

By the way - I'm in Yakima also.

I received this via PM and received permission to quote

Hey there again, I apologize for using terms incorrectly and making what I'm trying to accomplish hard to understand. I have in front of me two different panelview550 units, one is a 2711-K5A5, and one is a 2711-B5A1 I'm attempting to use the panelview to interface with my slc/503 obviously, but im so lost on how to get them to communicate

The B5A1 uses Remote I/O (RIO). The SLC/503 does not have an RIO port. So forget that for now.

The K5A5 used the DH485 protocol on an RS232 connection. This will be to channel 0 (the bottom 9 pin port). The port by default is set for a different protocol - DF1. While offline you will have to set the channel configuration for that port to DH485 in your program. Then download the program to the SLC/503. (Actually I think you may be able to change this while online through channel 1. It's been a while.)

It looks like you deleted your post listing the cables you have. Please don't delete posts. We all learn from them. Can you please restate which cables you have.

These are the standard AB cables to connect from the K5A5 to the 9 pin port on the SLC/503

2711-NC13 (16ft/5m)
2711-NC14 (32ft/10m)
2706-NC13 (10ft/3m)

These are essentially straight-through cables but with only pins 2,3,5 connected.

You would also use a straight through cable to connect between your PC and this port on the Panelview for programming it.

In any case please download manual 2711-UM014E-EN-P from Rockwell/Allen Bradley.

Last edited: