logix real-time logging

cking2729

Hello,
I am trying to find a solution so I can make a real-time event log for customers which logs PLC events in a .txt or .csv or even .xls format.
For example, when the OTE for motor 100 turns on in the controller, give a real time event log reading "Motor 100 has turned ON." Obviously that's a very simple example and most users would be able to tell that by looking at the HMI. But other examples where the log history comes in handy with a customer that isn't PLC literate:
At 10:55:34am a box is assigned to get kicked down a certain path based on the logix and at 10:55:37am the solenoid OTE fires to kick the box. My sequential log file would read something like
"10:55:34am Box 44 is assigned to LANE 21"
"10:55:37am Box 44 diverted down LANE 21"

I have several solutions than can get data and I/O states over to a PC via OPC server, but I was hoping there's a solution that could accomplish this as well as create the lines of EVENT text that corresponds. I need actionable info for the customer, not just raw data.

Unfortunately, FactoryTalk Alarms/HMIs aren't financially feasible. SQL databases are kind of overkill because all I need is a .txt or .csv file in sequential order on a local PC.

I was really hoping there was some way I could accomplish this in the PLC using structured text or after it reaches a PC via OPC using one method or another.

If any one has any ideas or software suggestions, the help would be greatly appreciated!

Since you mentioned FactoryTalk I am going to guess that you are working with AB PLCs. If that is the case, AdvancedHMI can get fairly close to want you want with its BasicDataLogger. If the BasicDataLogger doesn't get you exactly there, using a Data Subscriber with a few lines of code will get you exactly what you want.

Cost is not a problem because the base package with everything you need to do data logging is free. It even includes the drivers, so no need for an OPC server.