PLC History

piapia

Dear Members,
I'm looking detail information /specification for below:
- Modicon 084 or 184
- example of old Industrial Relay Machine, which where before PLC. I need detail manual, electrical diagrams.

ps. I have checked forum and google past few days but without any result.

Please support me.
br
Peter
Poland

Most of the info on details of the 084 predate the age of desktop PCs, so the only way it will be available via the Internet is if someone happened to scan in an old printed manual or data sheet. The same is likely true for relay panels, although it's possible to find photos of them, schematics are unlikely because generally they are considered intellectual property. Good luck though.

There are a couple of good papers already written on the history of PLCs by the way, available on line if you look hard enough.

Or if you are like me and lived through it, and so far have survived it. For me the most fun part was moving from analog to digital then putting analog back into the digital environment. There were times when I thought "why" when all it did was introduce a time lag and additional points of failure?

Last edited:
I don't think analog control loops would qualify as PLCs because PLCs handle logic, not process control.

Predecessor to PLC was just done using regular relay's. I've never seen a programmable relay machine as that would just not make any sense in most applications.

The oldest real PLC I used was from Texas Instruments I think. It had a hardware programming terminal that looked like an old oversized calculator. I think they used nixie tubes in the display. Something like this http://vintagecalculators.com/html/toshiba_bc-1623g.html

Wish I could remember the name of it. It was considered old and obsolete in the 80's so I guess it must have been from somewhere in the early 70's.

Last edited:
I still have 6 Modicon Micro 84's running if that's what you are looking for. I'm not sure if its the same as an 084.
No, not the same. Up until Schneider bought Modicon, all of their controllers had the number 84 in them; 084, 184, 284, 984 and Micro84.

Interesting side note on where the name "084" came from. In the origin story for PLCs, there was a race between Modicon and Allen Bradley (and Digital Equipment Co, who lost early on) to create the first one for GM, who commissioned them to create a way to easily modify controls without having to rewire relay panels every time they changed a production line. Although the term "PLC" was coined by A-B in 1971 and copyrighted for a long time, Modicon (from "Modular Digital Controller") actually won that first contract with GM in 1969 for the "Programmable Controller 084" (no "Logic" in the name at that point, but soon to be confused with "PC" which meant "Personal Computer"). But winning that contract was not without pain; "084" came from the fact that up to that point, they were "zero for 84" attempts to get it working right.

Pete.S.
I think you are referring to the 5TI.
Did a project with that hardware in the early 80's.
300 foot long underbody welder for a vehicle.
Had 7 5TI controllers for the work stations and an eighth controller to supervise those.

Hope this helps.

Up until Schneider bought Modicon, all of their controllers had the number 84 in them; 084, 184, 284, 984 and Micro84.
Regarding the missing x84 numbers: I know there was a 384. I've done projects using the 484 and 584. I seem to remember having a brochure for the 884. Was there a 684 and 784? How about the 1084, 1184 or higher?

Pete.S.
I think you are referring to the 5TI.
Hope this helps.

Yes!!! That's the one. It sure brings back some memories.

It was not the first PLC but it seems like it may have been one of the first small PLCs, less of a computer.

I found this on Texas Instruments website:

TI introduced the cost-competitive 5TI Programmable Control System for small manufacturers who previously couldn't justify the high-cost of solid-state control. The cost was directly comparable to a conventional 15-to 20-relay control panel, yet the system delivered all the operating cost benefits and flexibility of solid-state controls.

Previous programmable controllers were designed essentially for sophisticated machinery. For the first time, the new control system made solid state practical for ordinary machinery performing such tasks as injection molding, materials handling, testing, grinding and drilling. Machine operators required no special computer or software knowledge, just an understanding of conventional ladder logic diagrams or Boolean equations to learn to program the 5TI.

Images and some more info
http://www.decadecounter.com/vta/articleview.php?item=172
5tisystem.jpg