CP5512 S7Connections

Borte

Hello Guys!

We've been trying to use a CP5512 and a CP5511 card to communicate to different Siemens plc's (using s opc server).
We are trying to communicate to 23 plc's in total, but for some reason we are not able to communicate to more than 8 plc's at the same time. Which plc's we can communicate to is erratic, it changes every time we reconnect.

Our idea about this is that the bandwidth or the hardware of the CP5512 (and 11) is limiting the amount of s7 connections.
The same project works fine using a CP5613 and a desktop, it's just not running on my laptop using a CP5512.

Does anyone in here have any experience with this?

Any ideas is appreciated.

Regards
Borte

To quick on the post trigger....

Just realised after searching the Siemens webpage that the CP5511/CP5512 only supports 8 s7 connections!

To have more connections a Cp5613 or 14 is needed, but this is only available in pci cards.

Does anyone in here know of any adapter from USB to PCI?

Regards
Borte

Borte,

Instead of going the CP5511 route, take a look at the Kepware MPI/Ethernet adapter. I haven't personally investigated it, but I was in their offices earlier this summer and one of the guys showed me this adapter, and it looked pretty slick. I guess the target market is the small PLC that does not have an ethernet card. Here's the link:

http://kepware.com/Products/netlink_cable.htm

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Hello S7Guy!

I checked out the card you talked about and it seems like this card can only be used together with the KepWare software.

Note: Kepware supports the NetLink Adapter Cable exclusively with the use of Kepware's OPC Server,
KEPServerEX and their Siemens S7 200/300/400 Ethernet OPC Server.

We want to use it with an existing Siemens WinCC Server so it has to support Siemens software.
Otherwise this would have been a wery good product, I really like the idea with a MPI->Ethernet adapter.

Regards
Borte