CP5512 PCMCIA to usb with VMware

Yuri

Hi,

A year ago we decided to go to VMware to solve issues with different software instalments.
This works great, except that the (very expensive) CP5512 we all have has become useless.
Is there someone with experience to connect the CP5512 to a PCMCIA to USB converter to VMware.
And if so, which type did you us.

Thanks for your time.

Without knowing it for sure, my guess is that a USB-to-PCMCIA converter will not work with CP5512.

Of course, if you have a lot of legacy projects with Profibus or MPI, you need an adapter. But if you have mostly new projects, then just take the plunge to ethernet and dont look back.

Your absolutely right never to look back.
But our customers will not pay for that unfortunately. So we have to support the oldies also. :p

My guess would also be that is will not work. I think it will go wrong with the drivers. The converter will make an it an usb device but simatic net will probably not recognize it as a CP5512.

I think (but not sure) that the driver for the CP5512 needs direct access to the hardware.

Here is a decicated Expresscard adapter for the CP5512 (!):
http://www.buyoemcable.com/goods-50-cp5512-expresscard-suitable-for-laptop-expresscard-slot.html
At 475 USD, I think I would just buy the USB PC Adapter, or a 3rd party ethernet-to-MPI/DP adapter.

My bad. It is an Expresscard-to-MPI/DP adapter that uses "CP5512" in the name. It does not interface a Siemens CP5512 to an Expresscard slot.

Last edited: