Endress+Hauser Promass 83F to Logix5000

Martindag

We having alot of problem with a Promass 83F to count filling liquid to a tank, prety sure my promag is calibrated but i will confirm it monday but from what i read in the Technical Documentation PDF this model F communicate with PROFIBUS PA only which i have still no idea how this it work :) im used to work with pulsing water counter and im still wondering why its not a pulsing output for this counter too, my process is prety damn simple and i dont think it need all this.

well... maybe im saying this because i don't knowe anything about profibus
but still when i look into the routine, for this part they used like #C code to write it. It so shiny and all but my boss told me its the 3rd guy that come troubleshoot it and it never worked for like 3 years...

I wanted your advice on this,

My need, i got a 2'' pipe that feed at around 285GPM of cold water and count it with this water counter, i got 2 valves also on the circuit, 1 for full speed which is 2'' port and the other one is like 3/4'' to slow down at the end of the filling around 10% before the filling end. if i can get a precision of 2% on my filling the boss will be happy.

I got a brand new optiflux 1000 which is electromag rather than a coriolis, which have a pulsing output in my inventory. I kinda prefer a promass but im filling water only, always the same temp, at the same speed...

Plan A) Try to solve this profibus promag and make it work and hopefully get some tips from you about profibus :oops: in the worse case i will call my endress+hauser tech next week... so far in my program i think i found my tag which read the flow of my meter, it's like FT_0012.PV, it seem to have the same value than the display of my meter but for some reason i keep losing my reading or something, it turn back to 0 and see like a value pop for a second like 255.34 and then go back to 0 ...

Plan B) Remove everything and put my optiflux 1000 and use the pulsing, which im confortable to program to solve my problem ( because the promag 83F on the PDF doesnt seem to have any output for pulse... only Profibus PA).

Any advice would be appreciate, Thanks!

Last edited:
Plan B.

I'm a Modbus guy and only know a couple things about Profibus, but what I know is Profibus is a master/slave protocol.
Your flow meter is a Profibus slave.
What you do not have is a Profibus master.

A Profibus master can be expensive both in purchase price and the learning curve for Profibus. Profibus is NOT plug-and-play. (no industrial protocol is plug-and-play).

If it were me, I'd use Plan B. Modern magmeters are incredibly accurate (at reasonable velocities) and for water service, are the instrument of choice.

ohhh actualy my promass 83F seem to have a current input / output and not only profibus. for some reason the first PDF i was reading wasnt talking at all about these current input and output. Im a little less worry about it now.