PLC Input Module

umrz180

I am doing a project of Induction motor protection through PLC. Now i am in the studying stage of this project. I have 9 analog input and one digital output. Help me about analog input module that how many analog input cards are needed, cost of each card and which PLC is best to achive these analog inputs.

Because l have nothing better to do at the moment, l will get the ball rolling so the guru's can take over a bit later.
You need to supply more info about the type of PLC, you seem open to any PLC, but do you have any software for all the PLC's out there, as some PLC software is more expensive than the PLC.
So what type of analogues Volts or Current?
Now you could have worked this out yourself then looked on ebay for a PLC about pricing, as only a few on this sight are into selling equipment.

Also to add some questions, why would you have 9 analogue inputs, and only a digital output.
I imagine the output is for motor protection (turn motor OFF/ON)going by your post, so what is controlling the motor as you only talk about protection, as if you have analogue inputs, you would normal be doing some sort of speed control/PID unless they are all RTD's.

There are other factors to consider:
1) Where will this project be used?
For example if the factory uses all supplier X PLCs and you want to use supplier Y then they will not have any spares or technicians that know how maintain supplier Y PLCs.

Original price of the PLC is nothing compared to the cost of maintaining spares, software and training of technicians.

2) Delivery time
You will probably have a time limit for this project, delivery times can vary from 1 day to 3 months for example.

Another thing, if this is project for use at school, your best bet is probably an arduino mega for €35

if u just want to pass.

use 8 of the analog inputs for vibration sensors.
Leave the ninth one as spare, quote some contingency b.s.

make it all 4/20ma.
since cost isn't a factor, use allen bradley.

hang out around bars at campus until you run into someone that has the software.

agree to put friend's plc on ebay but keep it instead.

F it, buy me a beer and I'll do it.

I am a student and i just start this project. But i don't have a information about which plc manufactures are best and also confused about analog input modules.
As u asked why the 9 analog input.
3 of them are sensors ( temp sensor, ball bearing temp senor of motor and speed sensors)
and 6 of these analog inputs are voltage and current measurements means CTS and PTS because of three phase induction motor 3 CT's and 3 PT's will bw used. so if u have any idea then plz help me.

Cost is a major factor. As i am a student so i can't afford expensive project.
so if anyone of you have cost effective idea then tell me.

Do you HAVE to buy parts for this project and do it? Is there a lab with materials you can use? Are you just designing this in theory or are you going to actually build this?

I have about 6 to 7 months to compelete this project but i will deliver some presentations also in these months.
1000$ was my cost estimation but i processed i realize that this project could be expensive.
How much cost of a single analog input Card? and one card contain how many inputs?

If you actually have to build this yourself and pay for it yourself then I would go with an arduino for sure https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardMega2560

Biggest problem is that you only have a 5V output and you may need a higher voltage and the programming is in a C type language instead of ladder.

But it really doesn't make sense you would have to totally pay for this yourself. If you were going to go the PLC route, you are looking at hundreds of dollars/euros.

Even if you are going the Arduino route, the speed sensors will make it expensive even though the board is fairly cheap. If you google local suppliers, you can get the Arduino for 4500PKR.

Edit for example for Siemens:
1214 PLC with 2AI (around €300)
AI 4x13bit (so 4 inputs for around €150)
24V power supply (€50)

This is all without tax though
So total price without tax: 400+150+150+50 = €750
And you still need the sensors, wiring, a case to put it in, ...

Last edited:
you task now,

1.) research free PLC software.
2.) Free software for HMI.
3.) Local supplier for PLC and HMI.

GOOD LUCK.

Yep i would also go for a arduino as it is a lot cheaper,
for the power i would use a special IC or card, as you can not see power factor with simple senors.
for the temperature check what sensor is inside motor, and use a relais to get all three to 1 analog input.