Convert legacy .apa file

ASF

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

Any kind souls out there that could have a crack at restoring this APA file into a format that can be opened on a 64 bit machine?

Got an .apa file (SE local station) that I'm trying to restore - it's been created in version 5, so I can't run it up on my 64 bit machine. Usually this is no problem, I have an XP VM on standby for exactly this situation, but this particular .apa file just won't seem to play nice. I just get

"Unable to restore the application from...
Please check that:
there is sufficient disk space (47GB should qualify as 'enough')
the application is not open elsewhere (it's not)
the destination application does not already exist (it does not)

it "restored" just fine in version 6.1 ... then I backed it up as 6.1 ...

that's all I did so not sure if this will help or not ... if you need more, tell us what version you need ... (not sure what piece of the puzzle fits where ... not a big fan of FTView - regardless of the version) ...

good luck ...

To open an older pre 6.0 FT file on the new 64 bit FT you have to open the file on a 32 bit computer using, obviously, the 32 bit version of FT.

Then you create a runtime (mer) file in 6.0 (or greater).

Lastly you import the mer into the 64bit FT.

All done.

You can upload the older file from the Panelview using the new 64 bit FT but you cant do anything with that mer. You have to import it and recompile it to 6.0 or above in a 32 bit version of FT.

I'm going to put VMWare on my 64 laptop. Then I'm going to install a 32 bit version of Windows so I can have a 32 bit version of FT. Theres a way to share the license between the 32 bit in the virtual machine and the 64 bit in the native windows.

To open an older pre 6.0 FT file on the new 64 bit FT you have to open the file on a 32 bit computer using, obviously, the 32 bit version of FT.

Then you create a runtime (mer) file in 6.0 (or greater).

Lastly you import the mer into the 64bit FT.

All done.

You can upload the older file from the Panelview using the new 64 bit FT but you cant do anything with that mer. You have to import it and recompile it to 6.0 or above in a 32 bit version of FT.

I'm going to put VMWare on my 64 laptop. Then I'm going to install a 32 bit version of Windows so I can have a 32 bit version of FT. Theres a way to share the license between the 32 bit in the virtual machine and the 64 bit in the native windows.

Hi James, that's basically exactly what I do. And I've never had it not work before - but this particular file just wouldn't play nice. If it happens again I'll have to dig a little deeper into it, but with so many people here willing to help out I figured I'd cut my losses and enlist one of them this time ;)