Displaying an error message in PanelviewPlus 800 if the Data Logging PC is OFF

sandip188

Hello Everyone,
I am new to this forum and also new to PLC programming so please do bear with me.

I have a Data Logging PC where i am using FT View SE to log data into SQL server from SLC 5/05 processor. And a PanelviewPlus 800 HMI is connected to the the processor as well.

I want to display an error message in the HMI if the data logging pc is off i.e it is not turned on or there is communication problem.

How to do it?

Thanks
Sandip

If you can change code in the PLC, then create a "heartbeat" on the PC.

Use Derived tags in FTView SE to write a 1 to an address in the PLC. The PLC would clear that to 0 and restart a timer. If the timer expires, then set an alarm tag to 1. The PanelView Plus can monitor the alarm tag.

If you cannot change the PLC code then it's more difficult to do.

If you can change code in the PLC, then create a "heartbeat" on the PC.

Use Derived tags in FTView SE to write a 1 to an address in the PLC. The PLC would clear that to 0 and restart a timer. If the timer expires, then set an alarm tag to 1. The PanelView Plus can monitor the alarm tag.

If you cannot change the PLC code then it's more difficult to do.
Thanks.
Yeah i have access to PLC program and i can modify it.

I will definitely gonna try this and hope this works.