The Ultimate PLC "Train"-ing Setup

The PLC's and computers weren't that sophisticated when I was a teenager. PCs were just coming onto the market. I'd have LOVED to have had something like that.

That is VERY cool!! and I am sure that took many hours to build, that is way more then a trainer... thats talent :)

At least the AdvanceHMI was free :p The rest of the equipment had to cost big bucks. Very nice set up!!

When I was a kid we were using Apple II and Commodore 64 Computers. Never even heard of a PLC yet.:oops:

I wanted do automate a train layout

A friend of mine has a 40' x 70' train layout, 8 tracks 100's of switchs. I wanted to automate it 30 years ago, but he said " Gilbert did not do it that way".

^ It appears to be an L3xE, which aren't terribly expensive when purchased used. Likewise for I/O. The Stratix, though, is comparably expensive as a switch, especially in projects like this. I found a "like-new" AutomationDirect switch on eBay for $10 for my testing/training setup. No problems.

I like the setup - I wish I had the space alone! Also, kudos to the person recording the video at 60+ FPS.

if you remember ICOM they had a train setup at their office also. Controlled by a PLC2, then a PLC5.
Was really cool to play with, excuse me I meant practice programming.

You guys are young, or maybe I am "OLD"? When I was an early teen all we had is Heathkit with tubes instead of transistors.