Siemens Protool to WinnCC Upgrade

BrownControls

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello I have a project for which I need to convert Protool to WinCC for an upgrade. I have WinnCC Flex SP2 but its the Standard version and I painfully found out that the PC runtime project of Protool will not be possible to convert with that. The standard HMI projects converted fine. Is there anyone out there that would like to do this for me? For a fee of course, this is a project I'm getting paid for!

What exactly is it now ?
And, what exactly do you want to convert to ?

For example Protool Pro Runtime to WinCC Flexible Advanced RT 2008+SP3 ?
Or Protool Pro Runtime to WinCC Advanced RT v13+SP1 ?

I might do the initial conversion for you, for a favor ... ;)

Jesper,
I only have the Standard version of WinCC Flexible 2008 SP2. As I understand it, that's the last version Siemens included the possibility of converting a Protool project at all, however with my standard version when I try to convert the Protool project that was developed as a PC runtime it fails and says I need a higher version to do that. There are a few Protool projects wrapped up in this project and the ones for standard HMI's converted just fine for me. If you have a higher version of 2008 SP2 it would probably convert very easily for you. I really rather not navigate these waters with Siemens trying to get an upgrade of this old software I think that would be a painful process as well.

You need WinCC Flexible Advanced 2008 SP2 to convert the Protool Pro projects.
Not sure if you can even purchase the Powerpack to upgrade from Standard to Advanced, and then get 2008 SP2. You will probably get 2008 SP3, and then you are stuck again.

I think you need to consider what you want to do in the long run.
Even if you managed to convert the panels to WinCC Flexible 2008 SP2, then you will find out that all the panels that are supported by WinCC Flexible have been discontinued. That are all the TPx77, OPx77 and MPx77 panels. You can still purchase them as spares, but the prices are steep and will become more steep over time.

So I am thinking that you should consider to get WinCC Advanced v13+Sp1.
With that you can migrate to the latest panels (which are both much better and much cheaper), and be able to maintain the programs in the long run.
And the Protool Pro PC Runtimes should be migrated to WinCC Advanced PC Runtimes.

So you still need someone to do the conversion from Protool Pro to WinCC Advanced PC Runtime.

Yes, I still need someone to do the conversion. I need to get all the information I can out of the Protool configuration as actually my goal is to replace it with my own VB HMI. I think if someone can still do this for me, they would also have to change the target to a conventional HMI as my Standard probably won't open the project if it is still targeting a PC runtime.

To convert from a PC runtime to a panel is certainly possible.
As long as the PC Rt resolution can match a panel resolution (preferably touch panel because of in-screen buttons etc. in the PC RT project), then it can be relatively straightforward.

But again, the panels that can be programmed with WinCC Flexible are so expensive that I advice against going that route.
The price difference between just one MP panel and a similar Comfort Panel can be so much, that it could pay for the upgrade from WinCC Flex Standard to WinCC TIA Advanced.

Jesper, well thank you for all the info. I'll continue to hope someone has the 2008 SP2 software can help convert this.

Hi I will do the conversion but i echo what Jesper says. You may need to convert again

Obviously the conversion i do with come with no warranties or checks but will be the output of the wincc conversion

i will pm you my email