Recovering Siemens Protool Project

ThePortLion

Hi Guys

We have a Siemens HMI here that we don’t have any real backup for.
The vendor went out of business and all we were left with was a second compact flash card “backup”. There is a CF card in the back of the HMI so i assume the one I have is a copy of that. It looks like it was developed in protool.

The HMI is an MP370 (6AV6545-0DA10-0AX0). We’re using protool V6.0.

I want to recover the HMI application. I don’t mean merely backing it up, but recovering the original (pre-compiled) project.

All i can see on the flash card is a bunch of .dll files, a .fwd file which I believe is a runtime file and a .pwl file which i understand contains user data. I could be corrected on this.

There's also a .exe file. I've attached a screen shot of some of the folder contents. I d'ont see any .pdb or .pdz project files in there.

My question is, can i recover the project from this and as i suspect i can't,
is there any other way round this?

Thanks in advance

ExplorerShot.jpg

Unfortunately you cant automatically recover the source code from the image file.

You have to reverse-engineer the HMI program.
You have to identify all the PLC addresses that are linked to HMI elements, and recreate the program in the same way.

I am not sure if you can actually run the file PDATA.FWD on your PC, if you have Protool Pro. If so, there is the odd chance that you can connect to PLCSIM which will help the reverse-engineering a lot.