Recovering program in nonvolatile memory

poochie

Hello friends, long time lurker first time poster here.
I have a, lets say, unique situation with a CompactLogix PLC where we've lost the program in memory but we have a program on the CF card on an older firmware version. I'm assuming the program and firmware version were updated at some point but the copy of the program on the CF card was left as is. Unfortunately it seems like my workplace doesn't believe in documenting changes or keeping backups.

When I go to load the backed up image in RSLogix 5000, the option is greyed out, is this because the firmware on the PLC doesn't match the version of the image in nonvolatile memory?

The backed up program is on 15.3, The PLC was on 16.4 but I flashed it to the only available version of 15 I could find, 15.4. on 15.4 it looks like i still don't have the option of loading, which is fair the manual does state:
"If the major and minor revision of the project on the memory card does not match the major and minor revision of the controller, a major fault may occur during a load."
What's my best option here? the manual also states:
"The memory card stores the firmware for projects ≥ 12.0. Depending on the current revision of the controller, you may be able to use the memory card to update the firmware of the controller and load the project."
If I flashed the controller to say 14 would I be able to update via the CF card?

Capture.PNG

I had a similar problem few years ago, I was able to get the correct firmware from Tech Support, as soon as I flashed to the correct version I was able to copy of the card and get the system going.
They had 4 machines and one of then the 1769-SDN card failed which took out the program and it was a different firmware to the others that had a SD card in one.

I had a similar problem few years ago, I was able to get the correct firmware from Tech Support, as soon as I flashed to the correct version I was able to copy of the card and get the system going.
Well that's reassuring, guess I'll call tech support and see if I can get the right firmware.