Downgrading .acd file or Recovering tags from L85E (V28) to import in L73(V28)

PreLC

Hello,

We upgraded our PLC to L85 but then realized that some old software no longer runs with it.

We still have the old PLC, but we can't downgrade the acd file. Is there a way to manually do it?

Thanks!
-PreLC

Sometimes this works.

1. Export your ACD file as an L5k file
2. Open it in a text editor
3. Find the version and processor and change them
4. Make a new ACD project and import the L5k file

Not sure if it will work in your situation but I've done it in the past.

if i understand your question,you want to replace L73 controller with L85E.
at first you need to upload current .acd file with L73 controller, then change controller L73 to L85E in studio 5000 IO tree at offline, save .acd file.after replace controller with L85E in backplane, go to firmware upgrade (since L85E and L73 firmware are different). last step download to L85E controller.

Last edited:
For some spectacularly stupid reason, Rockwell will not let you change a controller from the newer architecture (5380/5580) to the older architecture (5370/5570), regardless of firmware revision. In other words, if you have a project that is a L85E, you cannot change it to a L73.

If you create new projects of both controllers and compare the L5K's, there are only about a dozen lines of difference. You may be able to hack up your L5K to convert it, I did it with a very simple project (no logic or I/O) just to see what would happen.

The more practical option would be to create a new L73 project and start importing stuff.

Our PLC was backed up(With tags uploaded too) and then the firmware was changed.

Our challenge wasn't to find the old ACD file, but to get the actual raw tag data value. Is there a way to use the L5K to get the old raw data?

Please let me know. Thanks!

The values are stored in the L5K, in the tag definitions. I'd suggest creating a new project with one or two tags, put values in the, then export to L5K

When you open the L5K, look for:

Code:
  TAG
      Tag1: DataType := [value1,value2,value3,etc];
      Delay : TIMER := [0,0,0];
  END_TAG

Why downgrade the processor? What software does not work with it? Is it a Rockwell title?

I would think if you spent the money on a L85 that updating the software would be the better and maybe easier problem to solve?

Thanks DM I'll get right around to it.

@Phil Buchanan: It's the Ingear ActiveXhttps://ingeardrivers.com/products/activex-controls/ software.

Doesn't seem to have a newer version. Is there a way to get it up with some hacks?

If I want to continue with the upgrade: At this point, I'm considering an intermediate lower level PLC which is compatible with our current software, acting as a communication slave.

What do you all think?