RSLogix 5000 and downgrading firmware

sparkie

Lifetime Supporting Member
So I have an L62 and want to use an EDS for a device. I need the newer version of the firmware (using 20.11). I realized the CPU in my test bench is an L51 which only goes to firmware revision 13.

The L62 is in use, but just doing some simple motor controls, so I wanted to take the program I wrote for the L62 and move it over to the L51 and place that processor in the rack on the floor so I can do my test benching with the newer firmware.

I couldn't find a "fairly painless" way to move the tags/logic over to a project for the L51. Any suggestions here other than rewriting the program?

AFAIK there isn't really a "painless" way to do it. Your best shot is to export the file to XML (.L5X file), open the file with NotePad++ and change the version numbers (I think from memory there are a couple of places you have to do it). Then try and re-import it. You'll probably get some errors, but hopefully they're helpful ones that tell you "I got this but was expecting that", so you can change it in the XML and try again. Then lather, rinse, and repeat until you either make it work or give up and go to the pub 🍻

what happens if you take the offline file and change the controller from the L62 to the L51 (under Controller Properties)?

I cannot go that far back as I am on Win7 and do not have V13...

It won't let me select a firmware revision. I don't think rockwell likes you downgrading projects.

One way (I've done this, at least for the bulk of it) would be to open two instances of RS5000; one being the original file and the other being the newly created file. Once you've configured the h/w in the new file, start copying and pasting tags and routines from original to new. Sometimes you'll run into something that refuse to be copied, thats what you'll have to do manually, but the bulk of the ladder should copy.