Understanding Hex.

I understand Hexadecimal is base 16 using letters for 10 to 15. My question is if there is a reason to be able to read Hex just like base 10 numbers. Thank you for your help.

My opinion - It's not something you're likely to see as a screen out element on a job application but it is a useful thing to have in your wetware toolbox.

Everybody these days has access to an electronic calculator so you could use one to multiply six times seven and be sure the answer's correct. Or, you could do it from rote memory and have the answer immediately. Converting to/from hex/octal is a timesaver mostly.

Yes there's a very good reason.

Say that there's a problem with the bit order for a Modbus 16 bit register.

The register should be 1001010000110101.
It came through as 1001110000110101.

If I type or read those strings of numbers to you verbally, the message WILL be misinterpreted. It's too confusing as a long series of ones and zeros.

But if I write down 9435h vs 9C35h, the character sequence can be 'handled' by human beings, and the difference is immediately apparent.

Dan

Once you get proficient at binary, hex and octal are natural extensions. Converting a binary number to decimal is clumsy.

As it was mentioned above, hex representation is a convenient way to shorten long binary strings. So it is helpful to know it.

BTW, standard Windows Calculator in Programmer mode is a very useable tool for binary and hex

I might add that octal and hexadecimal are there ONLY to help human beings deal with strings of ones and zeros.

Digital devices ALWAYS use raw binary at the execution level, digital devices never use octal or hex representations, unless it's data entry in a software development environment.

My favorite geek shirt is the one that says:

There are 10 kinds of people in the world that understand binary, those that do and those that don't.

Hex is also very useful for doing masking of data for alarming etc.