Pneumatics Logic

khewes

Hello All,
Im doing a pneumatics related problem at work and cannot seem to grasp the logic needed for my circuit.

When my switch is open i want to open valve 1 and close valve 2.
When my switch closes I want to close valve 1 and open valve 2.

I know there is logic to solve this, but its a head scratcher for me...im thinking 5-2 valve?
any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Khewes

Last edited:
How about one NO valve and one NC valve. Wire the switch to both of them. When switch is closed, the NO valve will close and NC valve will open.

Another way with a SPDT switch and (2) NO valves. Wire one to each side.

khewes,

While you may get the answer, you have left out some important details!
what is the system doing?
what happens when you loose power?
What's the big picture look like?

With pneumatics, you MUST look at the entire system and ask lots of questions.

james

not enough info..... is the valve ok as a spring return? should it default to centre block for safe position....etc etc

The big picture is a tool arm that controls a pneumatic screw driver that drills in a line of screws into a plastic mold.

Currently the tool arm is controlled by a double acting cylinder with one valve closed. An individual pushes down the screwdriver and activates it with a press button. when he/she releases the button, the cylinder will activate and raise the screw driver back up.

I was tasked to add a downward force to make it less strenuous on the assembly line. So im thinking that ill open up the other cylinder valve, and when the button is pressed, it will cause a downward force, and prevent the upward force. then when the button is unpressed, vise versa

On a different note, i cannot find much for pneumatic materials here at the moment. I'd like to get this done this week instead of ordering parts and waiting a week. Can i make a normally opened valve/normally closed valve using plugs and a block with multiple plug holes?

Last edited:
Hi
I would use a spring return 3/2 valve. I would avoid making up somthing from odd becuase of 'safety' issues if it ever goes wrong , your back side is covered by using a proper component

Hi
I would use a spring return 3/2 valve. I would avoid making up somthing from odd becuase of 'safety' issues if it ever goes wrong , your back side is covered by using a proper component

I actually found a nc no valve...would that work alright you think? and yes safety is the main concern i appreciate you lookin out for me! :geek:

How many solenoid coils does the valve have and how many ports for air
uhm i think 1 coil...not too sure what that means, there is one extruding pieceon side that extends through nc

Do i need electricity for these? For some reason I assumed the pressure would do it all.

one port for incoming air, and one no port and one nc closed port
3 ports total.

The valve sounds ok...the no port is to exhaust the air. Does the cylinder have 2 air connections? If so connect the no port to the up of the cylinder and the nc to the down. Is your switch an air switch? If so you may need a pilot operated valve with a spring return.

What is on the ends of the valve? A screw hole or a solenoid with a plug for.electrical connection. If a hole that is for pilot air

[QUOTE double acting cylinder with one valve closed.[/QUOTE]

Did you mean one port on the cylinder closed most likely the top one.

This sounds like a load balancing system to me. You might just reduce the air pressure.

Has the cylinder got flow controls? The cylinder may even have a spring to drive it up. If the cylinder has no air connected does it rise up.

Caveman has a good point...the air pressure could reduce enough to let the mechanism drop when the switch is pressed

cylinder does not rise up on its own. no air causes no pressure to this cylinder. not spring loaded

I mean in my quote from caveman that one of the valves was closed yes...the bottom which is a valve that would cause the cylinder to push down i was told.

the cylinder does have two ports and the no goes to the top nc to bottom.

not too sure about what switch i am using. i tried a practice circuit with a switch that when closed releases air. so my circuit is not working. Im going to look for another switch...not sure what an air switch is...

sorry im so clueless! very newbie to pneumatics took one lab on it in school and oine lecture thats it

Last edited:
Figured it out with the help of one of my senior engineers...

the CYL is hooked up to a y connector. One tube flows to the top of the cylinder, and the other flows first through a regulator (so the amount of down force is not scary) and then through a NO switch to the bottom of the cylinder. Where the NC outlet is used as exhaust so the cylinder does not fight itself to move up or down. When the switch is closed, the cylinder pushes the arm down, when the switch is open the cylinder pulls the arm up.

This was very confusing to me but a great learning experience! everyone's input helped immensely, I had all of the pieces so close to being together but could not figure out that i needed the exhaust without more help. Pneumatics are very cool, i am excited for more projects

Thanks All!
Khewes