Programatically open a display with RSLogix?

Twitch

I assume this should be possible but can't find a way to do it! I want to confirm with a Yes/No type window before proceeding so I want to toggle a tag to open a simple display. Any ideas? I am using RSLogix 5000 with Factory Talk View ME.

Thanks!

Tim

You will find that automatically closing the display on "yes" is harder than it should be. Probably the easiest way is to use global connection to close one on top or all on top displays. If you don't do this, then once they hit "yes" they will also have to close the popup. Why Rockwell hasn't implemented something like this already is just sad.

Open the popup normally. Your "NO" button is a simple close display button. The "YES" button is also a close display button but with this one you check the box for Write On Close. The pressing the button will write a value to the tag or address listed on the connection tab.

This is from memory; I can't test at the moment.

Open the popup normally. Your "NO" button is a simple close display button. The "YES" button is also a close display button but with this one you check the box for Write On Close. The pressing the button will write a value to the tag or address listed on the connection tab.

This is from memory; I can't test at the moment.

Dang sure right! I didn't realize that was there. That is a lot easier to do.

I already had the Yes/No panel working using 2 close buttons as suggested above, but my real problem is how to open the panel programmatically when I detect a certain condition.

I'll look into global connections, thanks.

Tim

Just to follow up, keshik had it right: global connections was the answer, THANKS!

Its pretty easy, just assign a unique Display Number in the Display Properties. In the global connection setups, click the 'Display' tab, then assign a tag for 'Remote Display Number'. When you programmatically set the tag equal to the unique Display Number, the panel pops up. Perfect!

Tim

Just to follow up, keshik had it right: global connections was the answer, THANKS!

Its pretty easy, just assign a unique Display Number in the Display Properties. In the global connection setups, click the 'Display' tab, then assign a tag for 'Remote Display Number'. When you programmatically set the tag equal to the unique Display Number, the panel pops up. Perfect!

Tim

Yup. Just keep in mind that all of your displays that you want to pop-up will require unique display numbers.

And also remember to set your remote display number back to zero once your popup has appeared, or else you'll be stuck on that display

And also remember to set your remote display number back to zero once your popup has appeared, or else you'll be stuck on that display

Second this. I keep a rung in my PLC that automatically sets the number back to 0 if it has been non-zero for 1000 ms. (This is done as a backup to the below macro).

One other thing that I've done is have the popup display run a macro when the screen is opened. This macro sets the remote display number (in the PLC) to zero automatically when the screen is opened.