InTouch vs FactoryTalk SE

whussain6

Hi All,

I have used InTouch only but new to FactoryTalk SE so few things in InTouch I am looking within FTSE.

1. within InTouch I can separate alarms from messages by using 3 priorities for alarms and 1 for messages and 1 for operator prompts to differentiate. In FTSE there seems only 4 priorities?
Using to separate ActiveX controls for Alarms (3 levels) and Messages (2 levels)

2. Anything in FTSE similar to InTouch window while showing script?

3. Within InTouch I can use Window Onshow/OnHide script to write current/previous window to string tags. What's alternative in FTSE? I have FTSudio 6.10

4. InTouch has dropdown list to issue command and I can use script to load different commands for different devices on single faceplate. In FTSE?

5. InTouch I can split display into three Top Status banner, bottom control banner, and middle mimic area. Bottom banner can have navigation control buttons assigned Function keys (F1, F2 , F3 etc) but you can still use these keys if you are focused on top banner or middle mimic area. What in FTSE?
Note: The three areas are separate windows

May be more as I go

Last edited:
Hi there,

I went through a similar process moving from Intouch & other SCADA packages to FactoryTalk SE. While i have found it more limiting that the other packages ive managed to do what i want with it pretty easily.

1. within InTouch I can separate alarms from messages by using 3 priorities for alarms and 1 for messages and 1 for operator prompts to differentiate. In FTSE there seems only 4 priorities?
Using to separate ActiveX controls for Alarms (3 levels) and Messages (2 levels)
What are you using for alarms, the HMI Tags or Alarm & Event Server? Either way i believe you can set priorities/severity of the alarm & display using that.

2. Anything in FTSE similar to InTouch window while showing script?
3. Within InTouch I can use Window Onshow/OnHide script to write current/previous window to string tags. What's alternative in FTSE? I have FTSudio 6.10
Using VB or macros i guess, this is where i do miss the scripting part of intouch. At the minute i have a screen that displays the system second variable, using vb i run a script when this tag changes. I have found vb very usefull for the scripting bits i require.
If you want to use macros, Right click on the screen, display settings, behavior. You can select macros on start/shutdown

4. InTouch has dropdown list to issue command and I can use script to load different commands for different devices on single faceplate. In FTSE?
VB again, sorry

5. InTouch I can split display into three Top Status banner, bottom control banner, and middle mimic area. Bottom banner can have navigation control buttons assigned Function keys (F1, F2 , F3 etc) but you can still use these keys if you are focused on top banner or middle mimic area. What in FTSE?
Note: The three areas are separate windows
Create Client Keys for what you require then,
Right click on the screen, display settings, behavior, startup & open the Client keys for that area.
Ive not had an issue with this even with different windows.

6. How do you disable buttons in FTSE?
On the properties button there is a tab for the disabled state
Edit: Just realized you said your on 6.1, i don't think you can. Hide the button & show a different one or panel (I have 8.1 and you can disable buttons)

Hope this helps,
Ash

Last edited:
Thanks Ash,

I am using HMI tags for Alarms but you can set only four pre-defined priorities

I want 5 priorities three (High, Medium, Low) for Alarms

and 2 for Messages (Standard, Prompt) for messages but the only I have left is 'urgent' in FTSE

also messages are lower priority than alarms but that doesn't make difference as they are displayed in different control. I don't think 'severity' settings are enough as all 5 types should have different colour/animation.

Maybe its a version thing, i have 7 & 8.1. See the attached screenshot.

I am in the process of upgrading to 8.1 & have used the Alarm & event server, this seems to allow alot more functions for the alarms

Alarm.png

How do you use these severity settings to display in Alarm and Event Summary object?

In there under 'States' tab there is only Priority column but no severity to change text colour and background etc.

How do you use these severity settings to display in Alarm and Event Summary object?

In there under 'States' tab there is only Priority column but no severity to change text colour and background etc.

I do not believe you can use the summary alarm display when using the HMI tags for alarming, The items in that area requires the Alarm & Event Server. You need to use "Objects, Advanced, HMI Tag Alarm Summary"

See the attached images, once you have added an alarm display double click on it. Either select "Data, Filter" or "Format, Colours"

Hope that helps,
Ash

filter.png colours.png

Thanks

Got it now, Thanks

Assuming that I need alarm and event server to be able to use standard Alarm and Event > Summary/Banner, I will configure and use that.

Thanks again