Micrologix 1100 + Labview over CIP

ric.de.abreu

Hi Guys, i have a trouble here.

recently we started to get outdated temperature test cabinet to work, and the best way is to upgrade our PLC. But there cames 2 problems, the biggest is the budget, we do not have any money so we have to work with what we already have, and the second, i'm intern here and there is no one from automation.

now lets face the problem.

PLC Allen Bradley micrologix 1100
cards: 1762-IQ16 1762-IQ8W6

My first thought is to use Labview to control the PLC, as HMI and data-logger.

The communication: this is really where the problems begin. It will be done through Ethernet.

which is the best way to communicate?
CIP Message, OPC, or any other i do not know? (I do prefer CIP, because it is free, but cant make it work.)

Using labview is not a cheap solution, unless you got it free somehow? AdvancedHMI is your friend, unless you want to monkey with your labview

Using labview is not a cheap solution, unless you got it free somehow? AdvancedHMI is your friend, unless you want to monkey with your labview

We already have a labview license, we use it in other cabinet. This is te reason to use it. In labView I know from where to start, but i'll check AdvancedHMI.
Thanks.

About the comunication? CIP?

Communication through AdvancedHMI will be Ethernet/IP and is provided through a driver - it is invisible to you and very simple to get data going back and forth to the PLC.

Communication through AdvancedHMI will be Ethernet/IP and is provided through a driver - it is invisible to you and very simple to get data going back and forth to the PLC.

i'm installing it.
Seems to be very simple and lets me use VB (my best programming language skills).

It is not as beautiful as Labview, but is great!

for data-login do i need something else or may i build a excel sheet and trow the data into it?

Since you are intern, tinkering is better for you , plus you stated that Labview is more beautiful, I encourage you to use Labview instead. I assume you also have a 'free' EIP driver for Labview?

Since you are intern, tinkering is better for you , plus you stated that Labview is more beautiful, I encourage you to use Labview instead. I assume you also have a 'free' EIP driver for Labview?

no, the driver we do not have, but it is inn 30 days experiment :)
and if i manage it to work i can convene them to spend 500USD for the driver.

I really would like to stay here after my intern period is over, and if i manage it to work properly my chances will grow to the moon!:):):):):):):)

There are several projects stopped here, and no automation engineer.
This case, we called someone to see what could he do, but the total cost was over 33k USD. More then 20 months of my salary! Sorry i run off topic:eek:fftop:

As data logging is concerned ( with NI I assume ), you can either use one of the 7 excel VM's provided, or if they have the report generation tool kit for Microsoft you can use it to generate a spread sheet that provides incredibly detailed running reports.

Good luck

As data logging is concerned ( with NI I assume ), you can either use one of the 7 excel VM's provided, or if they have the report generation tool kit for Microsoft you can use it to generate a spread sheet that provides incredibly detailed running reports.

Good luck

The LabVIEW part is the easiest
The difficult part get the values from the PLC without OPC server ( if it is really necessary can be bought, but I'll have problems installing in the server, and a lot of difficulties with the IT).

for data-login do i need something else or may i build a excel sheet and trow the data into it?

AdvancedHMI has a simple data logger object that I think will log to CSV or a text file. BasicDataLogger and BasicDataLogger2

Since you know VB, you could also use the driver in code to write your own logging if what is provided doesn't meet your needs

AdvancedHMI has a simple data logger object that I think will log to CSV or a text file. BasicDataLogger and BasicDataLogger2

Since you know VB, you could also use the driver in code to write your own logging if what is provided doesn't meet your needs

Yeah. I thought in that. It may open a excel template at the end of the process and arrange the data.