Messaging from MicroLogix 1100 to ControlLogix5561

AP25

I am trying to set up a read message in a MicroLogix1100 to read the value of a DINT in a ControlLogix5561. I have successfully set up a message instruction in the other direction, with the read message in the ControlLogix program.

The message is set up to execute every 5 seconds, and the result of the message is an error. Error Description: "Error code (in upper byte of MGx:y.22) was returned by Comms module or CIP device."

I have configured the PLC 3,5 / SLC Mapping in the ControlLogix program as File Number "10" and Name "MyDINT" which is a data type of DINT[2].

I have configured the message instruction in the MicroLogix as follows:

-- This Controller --
Channel: 1 (Integral)
Communication Command: PLC5 Read
Data Table Address: L10:0
Size in Elements: 1

-- Target Device --
Message Timeout: 33
Data Table Address: L10:0
Local/Remote: Local , MultiHop: Yes
Routing Information File(RI): RI11:0

When I open the web interface for the ControlLogix processor, and enable the message instruction from the MicroLogix, I can see the Message Connection appear with Originator as my MicroLogix processor and Target as my ControlLogix processor. The connection State is "Active" and Bridged is "No". However, when I update the value of "MyDINT[0]" I do not see it update in the L10 Data File of the MicroLogix controller.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Try simplifying the connection to use 16-bit Integer (N) datatypes.

Make the ControlLogix tag an INT[4] array.
Make the "This Controller" data table type Integer, Address N10:0, length 4
Make the Target Device data table address N10:0

Because the MicroLogix 1100 does have some limited support for 32-bit integers you might be able to make this work with your local data table being defined as "L" data type, but the PLC-5 Read/Write communications protocol probably won't support that data table type code. You could try it with SLC-500 Typed Read/Write (the word "Typed" means that there's a byte designating the B, N, F, etc data table types for binary, integer and floating-point).

Be sure your multi-hop section in the MicroLogix includes the destination IP and the Slot number of the ControlLogix. By default it probably enters 0 for the slot number, which is traditional for 1756 ControlLogix and fixed for CompactLogix.

Ken, the multi hop was the issue, I didn't add the path to slot 0. The example I was referencing for this one was using the built in ethernet port of an L81, and mine was using a 1756-ENBT on the backplane in slot 1.

Thank you for the help!