Big Tricky Omron NJ Question

Lamboom

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi
Here's a question I'm about to ask Omron.. as soon as I can figure out who to ask.. It's complicated asking support.. their web email form doesn't make complex questions easy.

Here's the question: Can the NJ CPU program a LinMot linear motor to make the "Random Sea"?

The NJ has a mixed protocol.. Ethernet/IP and EtherCAT (CoE)and claims to be a "Motion Controller". I doubt Motion Control is available on it's Ethernet/IP line.. but the EtherCAT might be another story.

Here's the curve... imagine a LinMot Linear motor continuously moving, never really stopping, following a real-time, mathematically generated curve, moving positive then negative, at random frequencies and random amplitudes. Almost never repeating a motion sequence. Yet, after a while the motion history fully represents the spectral distribution of energy on the surface of the ocean. Spectrum analyzers can display it, and mathematics can define it.. looks something like this:

The big question is: Can the Omron NJ get a LinMot Linear Motor to do this? … LinMot thinks so.. but, isn’t sure.

Sure there are ways to “connect" LinMot to The NJ.. EtherCAT (CoE), Ethernert/IP but… there is nothing in the LinMot drive that can do the Random Sea .. Only a Motion Controller, generating real time motion commands, following advanced mathematical equations, "on the fly” .. there is no stored "cam curve", or pre-defined special complex move. If the NJ is a true “Motion Controller”, and the LinMot C1250-DS-XC is implemented as an “axis” by Symac Studio (which it is… :) Then, there may be hope.

Closed loop, PID feedback remains with the LinMot drive, with special settings in LinMot Talk … Homing might have to be done with the NJ .. or by Digital I/O’s

What do the Omron experts out there think?

Thanks much, Regards, Michael

PS: how do you get an attachment in the middle of this post... Didn't want it at the end.. :)

Plot of 6 waves phased at 70 V and 450 acc.jpg

Last edited: