"Find All Forces" button

unsaint32

In RSLogix 5000, is there a way to find forced bits? I have a program with force installed but I cannot find what bit is forced. I looked down the Force Mask column but no red lettering indicating forces. I read somewhere that RSLogix5K has "Find All Forces" button somewhere. Does anyone know where I can find this button? Thanks.

be CAREFUL with that "Find All Forces" button ... it only looks for forces in the ROUTINES (code) and it will not find any forces which have been applied only in the TAGS ...

you can get to the "Find All Forces" button by clicking on the word Forces to change the menu selections ...

force_mask.jpg

Last edited:
Is that in a specific revision of RSlogix/Studio 5000, Ron? I'm using Studio v24 right now and don't have a "Find All Forces" option in the Forces drop down. Just "Enable" "Disable" or "Remove" All Forces.

Or is it only available while online?

I get the same thing Tharon said. I tried RSLogix5K version 20 & 21. Neither shows "Find all Forces" when I click on the Forces in the upper left corner.

I added a screen shot (above) ... this is in Version 16 - offline ... I'll check the other versions later ...

Last edited:
here's version 28.01 ... offline ...

I've got a hunch that you guys are clicking the little red "pointer" pull down ... click the word "FORCES" instead ... that changes the menu ... you're looking for the little binoculars icon - not a pull-down menu selection ...

another tip ... be sure that you have the Force Mask column set wide enough to show all 32-bits in a DINT ... for some unknown reason, they used the same character "." to mean "this address isn't being forced" - as the last three bits "..." which mean "my column isn't set wide enough to show you everything" ... (unbelievable) ...

FORCES_V28.jpg

Last edited:
Ok,I got the button to show. But the search didn't find anything. Yet I still have it saying "SFC Forces Enabled Installed."

Of course I had combed through the Controller Tags list with the force Mask column widened. Didn't find any force indication. Thanks Ron.

findforces.jpg

so ... you're not talking about I/O Forces here ...

SFC is the Sequential Function Chart feature - you can use that type of forces to make the processor's execution move from one section of the chart to the next - or (maybe more importantly) to NOT move into another section of the chart ...

and - as you've discovered, this SFC type of force won't show up in the tag listings ...

let me play around with this new information a little bit - and I'll let you know if I come up with anything ...

Last edited:
OK ... I poked around with an offline sample file ...

see if this helps ...

TIP: make sure that you have the "Descriptions" setting checked ON before you do the "Find All" search ...

CAUTION! ... since your screen shot shows that forces are "Enabled" then you really need to seek these things out and see what they're being used for ...

SFC_FORCES.PNG

Last edited:
Ron, so I did that and it still didn't find anything. And none of the routines in the "MLX200Communications" task is SFC type and none of them is being used in the project (all grayed out).

findforces2.jpg

Last edited:
well, that's about as far as I can go - unless you are able to post your ENTIRE project (.ACD) file ... or email it to me if that works better for you ... you can find my email address by following the link in my signature ...

my best GUESS from what you've posted so far ...

you might have HAD an SFC force in the past - but now it's been deleted/canceled ...

I'll be happy to look at it if you want to make the file available ...

good luck ...

And none of the routines in the "MLX200Communications" task is SFC type and none of them is being used in the project (all grayed out).
I think those grayed routines are using the Source Protection feature (without the SK.dat file you can't see the logic).

That said, something in the picture posted in post #10 drawed my attention: the SFC Forces Enabled indicator is yellow and the controller is offline.

Since I don't remember when it was the las time I used SFC in a project, I did a little test using RSLogix 20.14 and Emulate5K, always online:

a) Created a new program in Unscheduled Programs / Phases.
b) Created a SFC routine and put a step, a transition and a stop.
c) Forced the transition -> SFC Forces Enabled started blinking.

At this point is possible to find the forced transition using the Find All Forces button.

d) I deleted the routine, the tags and the program. SFC Forces Enabled is still blinking but the search operation doesn't return anything.
e) Going offline doesn't help. Even being offline SFC Forces Enabled is blinking.
f) Closing & opening the application is not a solution.

At the end, I had to use Remove All SFC Forces to get rid of the "ghostly" force. I'd like to repeat this test in a real controller but I'm miles away from my lab.