HMI Building - Where to find FactoryTalk or similar?

AP123

Hello everyone, I am a student and would like to take the next step and learn FactoryTalk (Batch preferably) and how to create HMIs etc.

Would any of you happen to know of a program that is similar that I could get for free or cheaper than Rockwells software? Currently a license is $570 :(

Also, there are many versions of FactoryTalk. In a general sense, if you learned one type, would you be able to understand how to operate the others easier? I have seen job listings that say they need you to know for example FactoryTalk Batch or others so I am curious.

Any and all information is greatly appreciated, thank you all.

If you are a student, ask at your faculty what resources they have.

I would only learn it if you are actively working at a plant that uses it.

FT is one of the worst out there.

If you want to learn a modern HMI (SCADA) for free, checkout Ignition. Maker edition can run at home free. Their industrial version can run in 2 hour demo mode. They also have education license options.

There is also AdvancedHMI which can talk to Allen Bradley PLCs (free, .NET based). And PyLogix for PLC comms, if you prefer Python.

Thank you so much! Will definitely speak with them. I am going to try to learn AdvancedHMI first. In your experience, how crucial would it be for me to learn Python or any other languages? Currently just know ladder logic.

You don't need to speak to them (Inductive Automation, makers of Ignition)... just jump on their website, you can download maker from there, and get access to resources to teach you here: https://www.inductiveuniversity.com/

I used to do AdvancedHMI before I started with Ignition. It's fairly intuitive. Search this forum, and it has its own forum too.

To answer your other question, you can only go so far without knowing some sort of scripting language. You can do the basics. However, at some point, you will require functionality that can be achieved easily with a script. FT is VBA, if I recall correctly. AdvancedHMI is .Net, VB (Visual Basic), C++, C#, which are highly sought in industry still. However, they are Microsoft based. In my opinion, an interpreted language like Python is the easiest to learn, and you can buy cheap hardware like a Raspberry Pi and do cool stuff. With a Pi and PyLogix, you can talk to a Rockwell controller and make an HMI that runs on any PC monitor using the Pi's HDMI. Ignition is also lightweight and can run on a Pi by the way, just it needs an internet connection to ensure you aren't abusing the free-for-home-use license.

By the way, I started with FT View ME back in ~2008. Yes, I'm bashing it, but bashing it from experience. It is built on technology from the early 90's and hasn't really modernised since.