Connecting Toshiba THL400/TSL3000 with siematic s7-1200

Froggo

Hello,
i am an mechanical engineering student but have been asigned to find and test different methods of connecting a scara robot (Toshiba THL400 with TSL3000 controller) with a PLC (siemens simatic s7-1200).
I am reading about ports and possible connections, so far i found out there are:
- INPUT / OUTPUT / SYSTEM ports which are 3 sets of digital pins (for non protocol communication)
- COM1 (port for non protocol communication using RS232 standard)
- HOST (connection to host computer)
- TCPRGOS - not quite sure what it is yet, but probably useful for my cause,
- MEM (usb port),
- LAN (connecting with ethernet through TCP/IP protocol) this has 4 different modes from IP0 to IP4, some for non-protocol communcation
- fieldbus port for industirial network protocols;
I am learning about this from scratch and could really use some help.
Is there any useful literature about such connections someone could point me to?
Which of these methods i came up with are suitable for what i am about to do?
How exactly is a PLC program sent to a robot controller? I mean do i need to use special software that will transform this data to robot language? Is this software different for every type of connection?
In the robot's manual there is no mentioning of possible outside PLC connection but there is a note about a TCmini which is a small built in PLC.
I am a little lost in this right now and will be really grateful for any help.

http://www.esco-antriebstechnik.de/downloads/SCARA-Communication_Manual_[TS3000-TS3100]_e_STE80722-2.pdf

I would start with the robot and the ability it will have to communicate. See above manual. It looks like it only will communicate by "Simple Communication Protocol". This can be done by the serial or Ethernet port. It appears that this is the only protocol that will control the robot.

Using the S7-1200 use the serial communication commands to the robot. Since you are basically sending ASCII messages back and forth to the robot. Here is a link on the instructions to use in the PLC.
https://www.dmcinfo.com/latest-thinking/blog/id/8297/siemens-s7-1200-serial-communication

Use Windows HyperTerminal or Hype Terminal to connect to the robot directly on a serial port and test the communication.
http://accautomation.ca/three-free-plc-programming-software-tools/

Hope this helps you out.
Regards,