PV550 covert to PV-600+ removing Scanner

Swaller

I have a SLC-5/05 with a scanner module that communicates via RIO to a pv550 that has a touch screen error which won't pass the error 31. I have faked the pv550 out and got through the self test but we want to replace the HMI so we don't have this issue again.

My issue is we don't want to pay for the converter from RIO to ethernet so I want to discontinue use of the scanner and just use ethernet to ethernet.

The pv550 used PB32 and the PV+600 uses factory talk view.

Any tips tricks comments?

Thanks!

I work with FTVME and it has a conversion tool in it that will convert a PB32 file to FT
I attempted this when I was changing out older Panelview Standards and thought I was going to put an RIO comms module on the new PV+ I abandoned that after doing research on the modules and just re wrote the screens in FTV which does so much more
Since your SLC is Ethernet there should be no problem running it once communication is set up in the PV+ . This will be done in the Linx Enterprise tab under communication.
There is a lot of helpful advice on this site and they helped me tremendously with the different features of FTV that are not available with PB32

You will need to re address everything in your program that is associated with the PV Standard going through RIO since you will not be using that part of the scanner image.
My machines still use the rest of the scanner connected to various ASB modules and the new screens PV+ are ethernet to a Ethernet/RS232 converter. I did not have Ethernet Processors so yours should be easier.

Yes, Are you familiar with the Factory Talk View software. It takes a little time to learn but is not that hard. Under the RS Linx Enterprise tab ,communications setup tab you will add a processor in the Design (local) under Ethernet, Pick your device and enter the IP, then create a short cut that points to that Processor, Copy from Design to Run time is easiest.
Your addresses in the project will have the shortcut in them like this
{::[your shortcut]B163:6/0} this is a pushbutton activating B163:6/0 contacts in program (there is no coil for this)
I am still a novice on FTVME but have done several screens that are running.
Attached are some set ups for comms. Look at some of the sample projects that come with the software

CAN YOU POST A PB32 .pba or .pva file of your screen you want to convert.

You will need to re address everything in your program that is associated with the PV Standard going through RIO since you will not be using that part of the scanner image.

I don't believe this is the case....

If you leave the scanner in the SLC chassis, the SLC's I/O image tables associated with the PV550 will still be there for the new PV to read/write over Ethernet. You may need to inhibit the slots used by the old PV, so that the scanner doesn't attempt reading/writing (on RIO) the old PV.

The new PV should be able to read/write the I/O image table addresses over Ethernet.

I never thought of that, so you would use the PV+ connection format with shortcut and use the address portion as the same addresses in the scanner image.

I never thought of that, so you would use the PV+ connection format with shortcut and use the address portion as the same addresses in the scanner image.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean....

I would just make the comms configuration in the new PV application as an Ethernet connection, and leave everything else "as is". The SLC addresses that are read/written by the PV will still be valid addresses, but the comms path will be ethernet, not RIO.

I'm pretty confident that's all you need to do in the PV application.

In the SLC application, disable the slots used by the old PV on RIO so the scanner doesn't try to read/write the old PV hardware and give you i/o errors.

Caveat : I've never actually tried this, but think it should work - well worth a shot before replacing all the "connections" in the PV app. I may be able to test this - just need to blow the cobwebs off my SLC training rig, locate my scanner module, I know I've got one somewhere, and configure my PV1000 with a simple test application. Of course I'd need to write the PV app with SLC IO tags as if it were on RIO, then configure the comms as Ethernet...

Last edited: