Break ringer

fons04

Hi guys, i have to make a ringer for workers annoncing it's time to break, work, day end ect.. for many specified times along the day. I have to be able to change time at spring and automn depending advanced time or not we are. I've thinking control ring with a siemens logo or s7-1200, so does it have instruction to make that with or best idea? Thanks

Previous employer installed a train horn to the plant compressed air. After that, no one could use the excuse that they didn't know break time was over.

Hi guys, i have to make a ringer for workers annoncing it's time to break, work, day end ect.. for many specified times along the day. I have to be able to change time at spring and automn depending advanced time or not we are. I've thinking control ring with a siemens logo or s7-1200, so does it have instruction to make that with or best idea? Thanks

Not sure about the logo, but the 1200 allows you to configure time zone and daylight savings time in the device settings. You can actually configure what day it changes, as well as how much time the offset is. It will then make the changes automatically. You can also sync it to an NTP server over Ethernet, so that it stays accurate year round.

In your code, use the RD_LOC_T command to read out the local time every scan (or at a set interval). If it matches a time from a list in a DB, blow the horn.

Thanks guys i'll try the omron digital timer with the summer time option. I'm not able to convince people to use the air horn....weird. The 1200 would have been a cool project with web page but price and time prevails

I used a AB Pico controler. It has a nice day of the week setup. Worked well.
I really like the look of the Bell Timer.

Last edited:
Some PLC's can synchronize their internal clock to a time server. I have set this up with a Wago 750-8202, keeps its' time in sync with a server on the company network. The main tasks were other things, but adding the "alarm clock" was an easy addition.

We made our own function blocks to ring a bell at specified times on the day (start and end of working day, coffee/lunch breaks).

It can also keep track of day of the week, so the bell doesn't ring e.g. sunday morning 7am. Cannot share the code, but basically the program has a number of events. Each is a function block with properties start + end time, booleans for ring/don't ring at start&end time. Most importantly: day of the week (can specify weekdays, weekend days, all days as well as individual days).

Our system also drives a couple of LED displays which show the clock (connected through RS485).

+1 on the Bell Timers web relay, we use one here. Its easy to configure via web interface, can sync time over the internet, pretty much set it and forget it. Only issue I have is with corporate IT after they instituted NAC and their semi-reserved IP addresses.

Wow, that's a change!
From my observations of late most people only need prompting to go "back" to work. :wink: