PLC5 to powerflex 70 remoteIO

aybee55

I am looking at an existing installation,

PLC5 with a powerflex70 on rack4

There was a 525 and was recently replaced with this PF70.

I wanted to get current and frequency data to my plc.

I am getting the frequency @ I:041

Not sure how to make this work,

Help would be appreciated,

Thanks

🍺

Welcome to the forum! On a PowerFlex 70, you should be able to use Datalinks to get drive amps data to your PLC5. I don't have a manual in front of me at the moment but a web/forum search for PowerFlex 70 Datalinks should yield good results. Is your drive set up as a 1/4, 1/2 or full rack on the RIO network?

Click on the link for the 20-COMM-R user manual, as I believe that's the comm card you're using. If you've got a different comm card on the drive, do a search for that particular manual. Block transfer & Datalink info will likely be addressed in the communication card manual rather than the drive manual.

it is set as 1/2 rack.

Issue is that all parameters 300 to 320 i think for data links as set to, so how am i getting the data at I:041.

I agree that I:041 shouldn't be the address for PF70 drive frequency via remote I/O. First things first so that we can narrow this down:
- please provide part numbers for drive, comm card & PLC.
- What are your logic command word and logic status word addresses?
- Any successful block transfers set up in the PLC ladder?
- Additional background would be helpful. So far our picture is very limited. It's anybody's guess from the original info if the system ever ran with the new drive, if the drive was set up properly, etc., among other things. In what condition did you find the system & what have you done since?

- please provide part numbers for drive, comm card & PLC.
Drive : Powerflex 70 Cat No. 20A D 5P0A0 AYNNNC0
COMM Card : 20-COMM-R
PLC : PLC5/30 D

Not sure what you neam ?

There is one for Analog card for drive frequency,2 reads and 2 writes for panelviews with RIO

- Additional background would be helpful. So far our picture is very limited. It's anybody's guess from the original info if the system ever ran with the new drive, if the drive was set up properly, etc., among other things. In what condition did you find the system & what have you done since?

The drive is fully functional and running. Reference frequency in from analog Input. The drive replaces AB1336. I am getting the actual frequency @ I:0042 and and status bits like Enabled, Forward Running @ I:041(bits)

When using the 20-COMM-R card you need to use block transfer to get to the datalink parameters, all you can get out of the IO addresses is status word/command word and speed feedback/speed reference.

Alan

Not sure what you neam ?
Logic command word contains your start, stop, fwd/rev, etc. command output bits. From your response, it should be at O:041
Logic status word is at I:041, containing bits like Enabled, Forward, Running... I was thrown off when your original post said frequency was at I:041, rather than I:042.

There is one for Analog card for drive frequency,2 reads and 2 writes for panelviews with RIO
As Alan_505 said, you will need block transfers to get the Datalink info between the drive/PLC. The manual I linked in my initial response has a good write up with examples for PLC5. Not sure of your experience level with BTR/BTW instructions but I'm sure there are searchable threads on this site for help.

The drive is fully functional and running. Reference frequency in from analog Input. The drive replaces AB1336. I am getting the actual frequency @ I:0042 and and status bits like Enabled, Forward Running @ I:041(bits)
This makes much more sense. Replacing a 525 with a PF70 had me scratching my head.

I'm glancing at this quickly, so I may not be catching everything and myay have some mistakes here.....

I believe if the drive is setup as a 1/4 rack, then:

I:040 would be the status
I:041 would be the frequency
Datalinks would not be possible.

If it is a 1/2 or 3/4 or full rack, then
I:040 is used for block transfers and
I:041 is status
I:042 is freq.
Datalinks can be in I:043, 44, ..

FYI: the frequency you are seeing on I:041 is scaled as

0-32767 (feedback) = 0 - max freq (param 55) if Param 298 = 0
OR
0-32767 (feedback) = 0 - max speed (param 82) if Param 298 = 1

So here's what i did to retrieve parameter 3 ( drive amps value)

I set up block transfer using 20-COMM-R user manual.

Request Data (BTW) to Read Drive Parameter 3 (Hex) - For Drive Amps

N90:0 000A Length of Message = 10 bytes (A hex)
N91:1 0081 Required Setting
N92:2 000E Service = Get_Attribute_Single
N93:3 0093 Class = 93 DPI Parameter Object
N94:4 0001 Instance = Parameter 1 (1 hex)
N95:5 0009 Attribute = 09 DPI Parameter Value

Response Data (BTR) to Read Drive Parameter 3 (Hex)

N13:0 0004 Length of Message = 4 bytes
N13:1 0000 The Message was Successful
N13:2 0000 The Message was Successful
N13:3 00D5 Response Data = 213

both block transfers were 20 words

it was successful.

So i have the parameters using BT and the feedback frequency using I:42.

Thanks everyone for their Awsomeness.(y)

Now i have to do the same for powerflex753. This is on the same rack 4, group 0.

Could you guys help me out with this.

Again the drive is working and has the same RIO card.

Now i have to do the same for powerflex753. This is on the same rack 4, group 0.
Do you mean on the same PLC RIO network or a different one? You cannot have duplicate rack assignments on the same RIO network.

Please go back and answer the same background questions for this setup so we can hit the ground running.

This drive is a Powerflex 753 with a 20-COMM-R, PLC 5/30 D.
This is the same program thus has block transfers for the Panelmate, the Analog Card and now for the powerflex 70

settings on the RIO card:
Parameter # 3 : 1
Parameter # 4 : 4
Parameter # 25 : GROUP 4
Parameter # 26 : ENABLED
Parameter # 27 : 1/2 RACK

It will be similar to the PF70 but some of the logic bits are not in the same place, and all the data is now 32 bit instead of 16 bit. Also you will need to convert 16 bit stuff in PLC-5 to 32 bit for the PF753.

Alan.