Red Lion CSMSTRSX set the clock?

bitmonkey

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi Guys,
I know nothing about this little gizmo except the IP address. It is being used as a data logger. We access it via the ethernet connection using a web browser. Unfortunately, that does not allow me to change the clock from daylight savings back to normal.
1. Do I need to download the crimson software to change the real time clock?
2. Do I need the same version of crimson that was used to program it?
3. Do I need the project file to use the crimson software?
4. Do I need programming skills to change the clock?

The engineer who set it up no longer works here. Boss wants me to "figger it out" but from what research I've done so far, it looks like I'm in over my head. I've read all the posts I can find on the forum, and it's all greek to me.
Thanks for any insight you can give me.

Last edited:
1. Unless the programmer built in a way to manually change the clock (which would have to be through the remote connection since there's no display) then yes, you would need Crimson to update the time.

2. Probably not if all you want to do is update the time.

3. No. If the original programmer allowed it you can upload the program out of the unit, but I don't think this is necessary if all you want to do is update the time.

4. Nope, just open Crimson, specify your communication connection under Link->Options, and select Link->Send Time. This will sync the Red Lion's time with your PC.

If you are logging data continuously, you probably don't want to change to daylight savings time and back. It generates a one hour gap in your data when you move the clock forward and a one hour overlap when you move the clock back. It is common practice to log data without daylight savings time, your report can convert it if needed.

Thank you kolyur. That was actually painless. I used a USB cable to connect my laptop to the USB/PG port on the Red Lion. The crimson software automatically loaded the usb drivers and all I had to do was click on Link-> Send time.
Now for another ignorant question. I took a look at the user manual, and the way I am reading it, I can use the Link->Extract command to copy the database from the Red Lion to my laptop. Is that correct? And it may be useful to enable the Link-> Support Upload function before I do this?
Also, thank you mellis. I hear what you are saying, but the data is being used by production supervisors who log in from various terminals and not sure how I can make them all happy other than just changing the time on the data logger, at least for now.
Thanks again guys.

Thank you kolyur. That was actually painless. I used a USB cable to connect my laptop to the USB/PG port on the Red Lion. The crimson software automatically loaded the usb drivers and all I had to do was click on Link-> Send time.
Now for another ignorant question. I took a look at the user manual, and the way I am reading it, I can use the Link->Extract command to copy the database from the Red Lion to my laptop. Is that correct? And it may be useful to enable the Link-> Support Upload function before I do this?
Also, thank you mellis. I hear what you are saying, but the data is being used by production supervisors who log in from various terminals and not sure how I can make them all happy other than just changing the time on the data logger, at least for now.
Thanks again guys.

The Link - Support Upload had to be selected when the original download was sent to the Device, but if it was, you can upload the configuration as you suggested. Just make sure you check Support Upload before downloading, though it should still be checked.