I have a project that is space limited
and will utilize 3 single axis controllers at 18 stations
They need to be single axis because each one does
a different function on a different part of the
machine at each station, but some of them must move
material at the same time at each station
I am looking a the 6500 with a three module rack
Precision and accuracy is the key
So is the 6500 the best system they have ?

I don't understand your single axis controller point. You can have three axes operating completely independently from a single controller. I don't think I fully understand your architecture. It sounds like you have a single machine/location that requires three axis control but the axes need to be able to operate independently and in unison at various parts of the machine cycle. Do you intend to disable or power off the control for each axis independently?

Keith

i am with Keith. multi axis doesnt have to be linked axis....

Could you maybe show a diagram of your intended layout

i am with Keith. multi axis doesnt have to be linked axis....

Could you maybe show a diagram of your intended layout

Single axis is based on a loss of one drive replacement
verses replace of the Multi Axis. The Customer has an older system based that design and wants the same same only in AB drives

So I see the 5500 is like the 6500 so what is the biggest
difference between them, this system has 46 (48 Shown here for clarity) total axis points
See attached

turrent_moves.jpg

5500 are stand alone drives... 6500 you can have one acting like a power supply for another 7 drives.
6500 power range is also higher...

OK, I get it now. As is often the case, the semantics got in the way.

When you said "single axis controller" i assumed you meant "single axis MOTION controller". However, you really meant "single axis MOTOR controller", or what many of us would call a drive.

If you want to be able to operate if ANY single axis is faulted the Kinetix 5500 is what you are likely looking for, assuming your power requirements will let you. The K6500 system would allow you to consolidate some axes but at least one axis would be acting as the power supply for others. If you lose the power supply axis, the others would be down. You can operate with all converters (power supply and inverter together) but that will be expensive both in money and space.

The K5700 platform is also an option. That platform has a separate free-standing power supply and individual axis drives.

Keith

Hmmm thats opens up some ideas

So in the group of three I should use
three DRIVES and one POWER SUPPLY on a three unit
rail. Now as they are acting as three separate units
I also need three separate CONTROLLERS with the three
DRIVES.? Because if even one DRIVE goes down the entire line is down
Can I put all of these (46) drives on a 1756-L83 using the Gigabit Port?

You can't connect the drives to the controller itself...
you need a 1756-en2t to support the motion control.

This seems quite a big project, can't you get any help from a local rockwell representative?

I discussed this with Rockwell. We decided to use a Rail with the first drive being an integrated controller and power supply with two additional
drives on the rail. Were using a L83 with the gigabyte port for the drives
and a 1756-EN3TR for the other IO and another 1756-EN3TR for the HMI
I have support so I can call in to ask questions, I will utilize Rockwell Distributor to a Limited Amount because Rockwell is also a competitor, so I keep most of the information to my self. The control scheme will be a Flight'ed Chain with Cascaded Cyclic following

So as there closed for the holidays

"We decided to use a Rail with the first drive being an integrated controller and power supply with two additional
drives on the rail."

In Studio5000 Ver 29. Do I add three drives to the Ethernet
tree and one Axis to the Motion group, or three axis to the motion group and one drive. Seems the combination is not working
as I thought it would. Seems only one drive can be assigned
to a Axis, Which would make sense, but how do the three drives
associated to the Integrated Controller, So what am I getting wrong

drives.jpg