RSLinx adding IP Address

Prayder

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am running RSlinx on my desktop and my current ip address is 10.5.48.x and I am trying to "see" a device at 10.5.55.10 which is on a VLAN we have set up. Is there a way that I can get to that device from RSLinx? Right now all it sees are the 10.5.48.x IP Addresses..

Networking is definitely one of my weakest areas.
From what I know, setting your local network adapter to have a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 would allow to see ips of 10.5.x.x

I've found that when browsing remote subnets with RSLinx, it is better to use the Ethernet driver, rather than the EthernetIP driver.

Use Browse Remote Subnet option

The Ethernet IP driver doesn't have a lot of configuration, but one setting it does have is the Browse Remote Subnet setting, which is exactly what you need for this. Just put 10.5.55.0 and 255.255.255.0 into the setting there and as long as you have a proper gateway address, and the PLC you're targeting has it's gateway address set properly, and there is routing between the subnets, then you should be able to see it.

Make sure you can ping it first. If you cannot ping it, then RSLinx won't be able to see it either. As suggested, use the Browse Remote subnet option if you are using the EtherNet/IP driver. If using the Ethernet devices driver, just type in the IP address you want to communicate with.

OG

Are you talking about a different subnet or an actual VLAN? If its a VLAN it is going to need to be routed to work. The data won't be on your network Nothing on your PC will do that for you. If it is a different subnet then you have many options available to you like changing the subnet mask or even adding a second IP address to your adapter.

I am running RSlinx on my desktop and my current ip address is 10.5.48.x and I am trying to "see" a device at 10.5.55.10 which is on a VLAN we have set up. Is there a way that I can get to that device from RSLinx? Right now all it sees are the 10.5.48.x IP Addresses..

Need more information. How are the devices connected? Is there routing between the networks? VLAN complicates things.

First things first, as mentioned, see if you can ping the device.

Networking is definitely one of my weakest areas.
From what I know, setting your local network adapter to have a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 would allow to see ips of 10.5.x.x

Just a heads up but this is only true if both the devices have the same 255.255.0.0 subnet mask. If the remote device is 255.255.255.0 then it won't matter if you change your local network adapter to 255.255.0.0.