operator toggle

Troyodum

What I have and what I am looking to do.
I have made a new page (Factory Talk view SE) that shows my whole steam system, including valves. Most of my valves are manual gate valves. I would like to make each valve on the screen clickable and change from red to green with out connecting to a Tag.

Any help in this area will be appreciated.

Troy Odum

Vanderbilt University
Nashville, Tennessee USA

why not tags, like an HMI tag instead of a PLC tag.

Short of that you I believe you could use VBA I don't have a copy of SE in front of me otherwise I would give an example but I know it can be done.

I would also suggest some short of disclaimer stating that the hmi is in no way representative of field conditions

What I am trying to do here is allow the operators to click a valve that is not tied to any tag because it is just a gate valve....and allow them to change the color of the valve from red to green or change a selection of open to closed or vice versa.

I don't have any tags associated with these valves so I am trying to find a way to allow the operators to make a selection if the valve is opened or shut.

I am fairly new to a lot of this but have made several screens that are working great.

Thanks again for any help with this.

Troy

You can create a "memory" tag as opposed to a "device" tag. The memory tag resides on the computer only and can been any data type you wish. You can assign it to your valve object or use it like any other tag, it just isn't tied to a PLC address.

You can make a HMI tag that is internal memory and not linked to a physical PLC.

You then use the valve graphic command action to set this tag to 1, and use valve graphic states to read this value of 0 or 1 to set colour property to red or green.

Disclaimer: I've hardly worked much on FT View SE, nearly entirely FT View ME only. But I believe the principal is the same.

Interesting idea- I've never thought about doing it that way. What I usually see is manual valves are shown without color, maybe a grey or something. I'm guessing there is no budget to put in limit switches?

I don't know about using HMI-only tags, but you could easily write some toggle logic in the PLC to set bits that do nothing but store the state of the valve. I don't see why you need to avoid having the PLC involved.

FWIW, you might consider a color combination other than red-green. There are plenty of color blind folks in the world that might be grieved by this.

I've never seen manual valves animated unless there was a proximity switch involved. Seeing as you are a student it's just some information for you but for the exercise as others have stated memory tags would be the way to go.

One of the downsides of some SCADA platforms is that objects don't always have pre-defined attributes that you can easily manipulate w/o the need for some sort of "tag" to maintain the property value. (insert shameless Ignition plug here)

I've never seen manual valves animated unless there was a proximity switch involved.

I've seen it but it is not good practice. It's usually designed as a feature to help operators see at a glance what some of their manual valve positions are set to but in reality someone forgets to "set" the valve on the SCADA after turning it or whatever and it gets all mixed up. The problem of course is that what's on the screen is not connected to reality and everyone's stuck wondering why the process is screwed up or the flows aren't right. Thus the excellent suggestion above by labeledas to put a nice big disclaimer on the screen to remind everyone.