S7/TIA Portal: HMI KTP1200 "Virtual Keypad is too small" says operator...

Mas01

...and I agree.

Context: TIA Portal/HMI = KTP1200 (12" screen)

In the attached redacted image, the values in the white boxes are entered by the operator (+ve or -ve numbers to 3dp).

Although the image doesn't show it, on the HMI, when you tap on a data entry field, the on-screen keyboard that appears has got quite small buttons...even I find it difficult to differentiate between the minus sign "-" and the decimal point "." keys.

QUESTIONS:
1. Is there a way to make the HMI on-screen keypad bigger?
2. Is it possible to connect a larger (possibly 3rd party) touchscreen instead of a Siemens HMI? Would something like this would work?
https://www.beetronics.co.uk/27-inch-touchscreen

Thanks in advance.

Data Input Fields.PNG

USB Keyboard?

You can change the onscreen keyboard configuration in the control panel on the screen, which is outside of the runtime and usually only visible when you first power it up.

USB Keyboard?

You can change the onscreen keyboard configuration in the control panel on the screen, which is outside of the runtime and usually only visible when you first power it up.
Only problem with a keyboard is work surface space limitation...It's about half the size of your average coffee table. The PLC and associated hardware is installed on a small trolley on castors and wheeled around.

As for the on-screen keypad configuration, are you talking about this SETTINGS button on the start-up screen? See picture. Unfortunately, I've not got the HMI in front of me, as it's on-site with customer.

FYI, I've got the HMI KTP1200 Basic model if that makes any difference.

Thanks for the reply.

settings button.PNG

I've got the HMI KTP1200 Basic model if that makes any difference.

Yes it does, I misread that and stupidly thought it was TP1200 which is a Comfort panel. Those panels run some variation of a Windows OS.

Basic HMIs can still use a USB keyboard but I'm not sure about re-sizing the onscreen keyboard. I generally use the smallest panels for those which means the keyboard fills the screen.

Yes it does, I misread that and stupidly thought it was TP1200 which is a Comfort panel. Those panels run some variation of a Windows OS.

Basic HMIs can still use a USB keyboard but I'm not sure about re-sizing the onscreen keyboard. I generally use the smallest panels for those which means the keyboard fills the screen.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, mine is a 'basic' HMI, not a Comfort panel.

Does anyone know if a 3rd-party HMI like this one can be used with S7-1212C PLC? i.e. to offer a larger on-screen keyboard for data entry?

If it's the same as comfort panels you go into settings as per your pic or by rebooting the screen and catching it before the runtime starts up. There is an option I think called input panel where you can change the screen size and save the size and position.

If it's the same as comfort panels you go into settings as per your pic or by rebooting the screen and catching it before the runtime starts up. There is an option I think called input panel where you can change the screen size and save the size and position.

Cheers for this.
Unfortunately, I've not got the HMI in front of me, it's on-site with customer. If I can find the user manual, I'll see it says anything like that. Thanks

Does anyone know if a 3rd-party HMI like this one can be used with S7-1212C PLC? i.e. to offer a larger on-screen keyboard for data entry?

In theory, a 3rd party HMI COULD work with a 1200, but 2 problems:

1) I think that's just a monitor, not an HMI. Basic panels have no video out.

2) most third party HMIs don't support the optimized/symbolic tag access in the 1200, they support the older non-optimized absolute address based S7-300 style protocol. You'd probably need to turn optimized off for any HMI relevant DBs as well as activating "permit access with Put/Get" comms in the HW settings.