Shielded CAT X cable ?

danw

Lifetime Supporting Member
VFD Modbus RTU uses dual RJ-45 connectors for easy daisy chaining devices in an RS-485 network.

What do I need to spec for shielded CAT X cable to get the best protection from electrical noise?

VFD Modbus RTU uses dual RJ-45 connectors for easy daisy chaining devices in an RS-485 network.

What do I need to spec for shielded CAT X cable to get the best protection from electrical noise?

Best protection? Higher CAT = better speed (which requires better protection), and I think CAT 7 is the newest/best. I think braided & foil shield is better than each individually. However, it's also the most expensive.

I'm not sure where the real cutoff point is, as far as "is Cat 6 enough?". I think a lot of industrial ethernet cable manufacturers make cables that might technically only be rated for cat 5e in terms of twists per length and speed, but have way more shielding than is required by the standard, giving it the noise immunity required.