Siemens IO controller on office network

Jirrr

Good morning,
I use factory/office ethernet network for monitoring and programming my s7-1200 AND S7-300 plc....Now I would like to connect two S7-1200 one as IO controller and second IO device in different places of the factory....Will it work with ordinary network switches(routers)?????I do not need time critical data tranfer beetwen these Plcs.....(or can I use PUT/GET functions?)

Thanks a lot....

Good morning,
I use factory/office ethernet network for monitoring and programming my s7-1200 AND S7-300 plc....Now I would like to connect two S7-1200 one as IO controller and second IO device in different places of the factory....Will it work with ordinary network switches(routers)?????I do not need time critical data tranfer beetwen these Plcs.....(or can I use PUT/GET functions?)

Thanks a lot....

Profinet (IO controller/IO device) would probably not be a good fit for this application. You can use standard switches, but the PN packets cannot be routed. The two devices must be in the same subnet and the same broadcast domain (layer 2 network).

However, you can use T-Send/T-Recv blocks to send data via TCP or Put/Get. These communications can be routed.

I will probably use PUT/GET....
but about IO device....if IT admin create Virtual network with one IP subnet,can be PN packet send on network configuration like this?

If IT admin create Virtual network with one IP subnet,can be PN packet send on network configuration like this?

It might. However, the important thing is that they need to be part of the same broadcast domain, the same layer 2 network. They communicate directly via the MAC addresses. Being part of the same IP subnet (layer 3) is necessary, but not sufficient. A simple VLAN setup should allow for this, but a complex one might not.

IT systems are often set up to limit broadcast domains, while allowing IP traffic in the same subnet through. Just because you can ping from A to B, doesn't mean you can have IO communication.