Program Crash When Away from Work

I know not specifically PLC related, but my KEB HMI software is giving me fits. It is Combivis HMI. Recently, I started having problems when not on my work network. The program would crash as soon as I tried to edit a button, or add a button. Even starting a new project on the C drive is now doing this. I reverted back to a version that I used for a long time with no problems, and at first thought that fixed it. That is no longer working. KEB is working with me on this, but they cannot recreate it.

I have a Dell Latitude and I installed a SSD a few months ago. Windows 7 64-bit. If I look in the Event viewer, I see that Combivis HMI is throwing a error c0000005.

Has anyone come across anything like this? Again, works fine when I am on the work network, but not when I am not.

I know not specifically PLC related, but my KEB HMI software is giving me fits. It is Combivis HMI. Recently, I started having problems when not on my work network. The program would crash as soon as I tried to edit a button, or add a button. Even starting a new project on the C drive is now doing this. I reverted back to a version that I used for a long time with no problems, and at first thought that fixed it. That is no longer working. KEB is working with me on this, but they cannot recreate it.

I have a Dell Latitude and I installed a SSD a few months ago. Windows 7 64-bit. If I look in the Event viewer, I see that Combivis HMI is throwing a error c0000005.

Has anyone come across anything like this? Again, works fine when I am on the work network, but not when I am not.

Do you have any Mapped Drives that are no longer available when not on the network? I know nothing about KEB, but I know some rockwell products will hang up forever if there is a mapped drive that's not available as the software attempts to search the drive.

There are mapped drives, but they are available offline because I sync them. I know that there is a naming difference offline vs. online. Some programs open up and say they can't find xxxx file(last one used), but I can navigate to it. This happens even on C: drives, and the crash only happens when I try to edit an object. Might be some kind of permissions issue.

That error is an Access Violation Error. Errors starting with 0xC are application specific errors, if they begin with 0x8 they are being returned by the OS.

There are a multitude of reasons why these errors can occur. A few are"
1. Library that it uses no longer exists or has been updated and a function that it was calling has been deprecated and not replaced.
2. FileIO access.
a) Perhaps a location where the HMI is trying to write configuration data is no longer accessible. This can happen when restoring systems.
b) A file location has been set to read only and cannot be written to.
c) security has been set on the file location and your current user does not have access rights.
3. Security updates can have a big impact and some of the Windows 7 updates have changed security settings. Look at what updates were done just before this started and look them up.
4. You may have tried this already but create a new project form scratch and see if you get the same errors. It is possible that your HMI itself got corrupted.
5. Lastly, if your IT group pushes updates like mine does it is possible that they made a change and did not let you know.

Thanks Fred. According to the Event Viewer, it is MFC80U.dll that is causing the program to crash. I have tried a new project from scratch, while away from work, and using only the C: drive. It still crashed while trying to edit a screen object. I can save the project, upload, download, etc. just fine.

Last edited: