Rung glitch after a RS5000 program crash

hanlonmi06

So has anyone had a glitch where something like this screen shot shows?

I have a deleted rung showing that is being scanned, with two "unknown" instructions. The back story is that my RS5000 crashed when trying to set up a trend. this 'was' a rung with a one shot and a move that were working correctly. after opening the auto save though, this is what i got. i have seen something like this before but i forgot how to get rid of it. its now not allowing me to make changes in the ladder since logix doesn't particularly like detecting unknown instructions....

rs5000 deleted rung bug.jpg

What version of 5000?
I often get unknown instructions when I'm blindly typing in a rung (yes, manually, it's quicker) and mis-key, but it is a simple matter to highlight the "UNK", and type in a valid instruction mnemonic or just delete it.

I've seen this before, and I don't recall having to do anything special to get rid of it. Have you tried cancelling edits?

I have up to version 23 installed however i think this is using v19.

the rung was a completely finished and operating rung being scanned prior to the crash. when i got back into the program i had this going on. i cant do anything with it. if i cancel edits, it puts the rung from "d" to "e" but its still showing green like its actually being scanned. each time i try anything i get errors on the unknowns.

i was hoping for a non-download solution, but looks like we're going to have to take that route....

the irony here is "ons" and "mov" are valid types of instructions!

Last edited:
just guessing - but I've got a hunch that your ONS instruction is trying to use the MOV as its "address" for the ONS storage bit ...

just try putting everything in from the menus - and I'll bet (pocket change only) that it all clears up ...

another GUESS ... make sure that your "keyboard entry" window is set up for ASCII ... if it's NEUTRAL text it will often give weird results ...

Last edited:
oh......that stung a lil....

but it worked!

not exactly sure where the keyboard settings are but i haven't gotten into the habit of doing keyboard entry yet. i don't recall specifics but i have to imagine that rung was in test or something when the software crashed- it was so unexpected and sudden. anyhow, that spared some grief as i am sitting right at the line as i type this trying to pick up where i left off yesterday.

Thanks so much for the reply's!

here's a quick "getting started" lesson on using the ASCII rung entry mode ...

there's more to it - if you're interested - but the main thing is that you don't have to poke around through the menus to find instructions that you hardly ever use ...

ASCII_entry_2.PNG

hanlonmi06 said:
...if i cancel edits, it puts the rung from "d" to "e" but its still showing green like its actually being scanned. each time i try anything i get errors on the unknowns.

i was hoping for a non-download solution...

Just a quick note here...

If a rung is status "e" lowercase, then it only exists in the software editor i.e. the Offline file, and not in the controller. Just because it appears to be Green and on scan, it is in fact not. I tend to treat the Green power flow in RSLogix like I treat phase testers, not to be trusted.

So something had gone awry with the instruction' mnemonics for this rung in the editor alone. Your crash most likely, or you fat fingered it!

Ron's "check the mnemonics editor" is the best way to see what the rung thinks it has and how it was entered. You should be able to type edit the UNKs out yourself. But if an UNK instruction, or anything else on an "e" status rung has you bamboozled altogether...

Another way to recover from this would be to perform an upload to file, rewriting the correct mnemonics for the instructions from the controller's memory back into the Offline file.

Regards
George

Thanks for the helpful tips.

i was definitely bamboozled. I knew this glitch was ok in the sense that it was not affecting anything in the processor, it was just ticked off in the editor. i had a brain freeze about using alternative methods to delve into what the editor thought was going on. i guess one can get complacent and forgetful of some of the other features when you don't run into abnormalities too often.

i see the other controls guy here using that editor sometimes, and really uses some old 6200 shortcuts in 5 and 500 which blows me away, so there's always a way to navigate i 'spose!

Example Mnemonic String said:
BST XIC Group_1_Tune_Request NXB XIC Group_1_Zone_1_Tune_Request BND XIO TIC101.AtuneBusy BST XIO TIC101.AtuneReady OTL TIC101.AtuneAcquire NXB XIC TIC101.AtuneReady BST ONS Group_1_Zone_1_ATune_Status.30 XIO TIC101.AtuneOn BST OTL TIC101.AtuneStart NXB OTU Group_1_Zone_1_ATune_Status.31 NXB OTU TIC101.AtuneDone NXB OTU TIC101.AtuneAborted BND NXB BST XIC TIC101.AtuneAborted NXB XIC TIC101.AtuneDone BND BST ONS Group_1_Zone_1_ATune_Status.31 XIO TIC101.AtuneAborted OTL TIC101.AtuneUseGains NXB XIO TIC101.AtuneUseGains BST MOV TuneTag1.AtuneStatus Group_1_Zone_1_ATune_Status NXB OTU Group_1_Tune_Request NXB OTU Group_1_Zone_1_Tune_Request NXB OTL TIC101.AtuneUnacquire BND BND BND BND

The editor is a very useful way to create your program ladder logic all from the keyboard. The above is one example, albeit a little more complex looking, of a mnemonic string for a single rung. If you add a new rung in RSLogix 5000 and copy/paste the above text into the mnemonic editor and hit Enter, you will see the entire rung, branches and all added in.

There is no limit as to how much you can type. You can stay writing mnemonics for one rung until the controller runs out of memory.

G.

Mnemonic Editor String.jpg

holy smokes...i see the power now. i tinkered with it now and again for simple stuff like punching in TON or something, but i wasn't fluent in it. now that i've got some fairly large program changes under my belt (adding robots to a manually loaded line and all the I/O and code) i see where if your familiar with tags you can really hammer that out.

well, kinda off topic, but non the less, maybe i did fat finger something, i was doing 3 things at once, and on the crash the editor didn't know what to make of it.... so this is all excellent info!