Communication between Micrologix 1100 and Panelview 600 Plus

Hello,
I am currently installing a PLC control panel and due to space constraints, we will need to install the Panelview 600 HMI separate from the Micrologix. We purchased a 50ft Allen Bradley communication cable, but 50ft will not be long enough. We have about 70 to 75ft of conduit between the panel and the HMI. I would like to know what options we have for this connection. I read that for serial connection, we shouldn't go past 50ft. I understand the Micrologix 1100 has an ethernet connection and the Panelview does as well, but I'm not sure what changes would be needed in order to communicate through the ethernet port, instead of the RS-232 port. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JCG

Welcome to the Forum !

If you use a good quality low-capacitance serial cable, you could stretch RS-232 to more than 50 feet. But the safe thing to do is to use Ethernet.

In general, all you will need to do is configure the IP address on the MicroLogix, and change the Shortcut in FactoryTalk View Studio (RSLinx Enterprise configuration window) to point to the IP address of the MicroLogix using the Ethernet driver, instead of pointing to the DF1 address of the MicroLogix using the serial driver.

Ethernet is good for about 100 meters (330 feet).