Question about point I/O module properties

TL140

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all,

I have a 1734 232ASC module that has a scanner connected to it. Well, we had the scanner break for the first time and had to be replaced. They swapped the scanner but it didnt work. I took a look at the properties and the module is set for 7 data bits and 2 stop bits. The scanners come out of the box at standard 8 and 1. I was wondering if I could change the properties in the module without having any adverse effects on the program. Right now I changed the settings via scanner side, but to make it easier for the other maintenance personnel, I figured this would be a time saving fix. The scanner was down for an entire shift because of this :oops:

Which ever way you chose, change the modules configuration or change the scanner's configuration, there is no assurance that a replacement scanner (be it new out of the box or a repaired replacement out of your tool crib) will be configured to match. I like to create a sheet with the scanner configurations that I've copied out of the scanner manual and post them inside of the panel door.

For instance, the scanner I've used lately comes new out of the box configured for a high baud rate and using a USB connection. The sheet I made up changes the configuration to serial, 9600 baud, etc. so that it matches the PLC serial port. Whenever there is a issue, re-scan the configuration and go.

A little pro-active preparation like this will avoid long down times.

If the 1734-232ASC is connected to an Ethernet or ControlNet adapter you should be able to make these changes in the Configuration Assembly that's sent out to it every time it reboots.

Should have no effect on the rest of the program; the delimiters and data lengths are the most important part for most barcode reader programs.