Produced/Consumed tags out of network

bcarbo

Can I use produced/consumed tags from a CompactLogix on a private network (192.168.1.xxx) to another CompactLogix on a plant network (10.0.0.xxx)? Would I use a 1783-NATR and then add the plant PLC with a dummy private address and map it to the plant address?

If routing between the 192 and 10 network is not an option then a NAT device would work. The 1783-NATR specifically translated private to public. So if your PLC was 192.168.1.10 you would translate it to 10.0.0.10. Your Private side PLC (192 network) would reference your public network PLC directly at the 10 address. Your public network PLC would reference the translated address of the 192 PLC (10.0.0.10). Be sure that your P/C tags are unicast otherwise it will not work.

Let me know if this is not clear or if you have further questions.

My approach in order of preference would be:

1. Change IP addresses to get all machines on the same subnet
2. Install a layer 3 router to route between all existing subnets
3. Install 1783-NATR

All of them perfectly valid options, and all will work. Just depends on what is and isn't a viable option in your particular set of circumstances.