Migrating from RSLogix 500 to Studio 5000

Hi All,

I have been a long time AB user, always programming in RS Logix 500. (Most recently MicroLogix PLC's).

I am now on a project where we will be using Compact Logix PLC's with Studio 5000. (Which I now have).

Any advice as to how to proceed with the learning curve? Can I convert an old MicroLogix program as a start point? Is there a 101 video I can watch etc?

Any advice welcomed.

Thanks,
Graeme.

Welcome to the forum!

There *is* a translation tool that convert an RSLogix 500 program directly to an RSLogix 5000 program, but the results aren't pretty, and you'll miss most of the power of RSLogix 5000.

The biggest change is that instead of all your data being in pre-defined, pre-named registers like N7 and B3, your data is now stored in "tags", created as and when you need them, and named whatever you like (e.g. instead of using memory address B3:0/1, you create a tag of type BOOL, and call it, say, "System_Run_Request".

Then there's UDT's and AOI's to read up on - these are quite useful and powerful once you learn what they're there for. Search the forum for information on those, and have a read.

There are also gotcha's in that the I/O updates are no longer synchronised to the program scan of the PLC. This is why I/O mapping or buffering is quite often used on the Logix 5000 platform, but rarely on the Logix 500 platform. Again, search the forum for "asynchronous I/O" or "I/O mapping" and you'll get a bit of information as to what I mean.

I don't know of any videos/101's for RSLogix 5000 specifically, but probably a few others around here do.

Good luck!

Just dive in, you will not find it complicated. As a Siemens user for the last 10 years, I made the transition to Studio 5000 very easily.

It's made by Americans, to be used by Americans.