LAN Modem Options?

martyh

I have a project that will have an SLC 5/05, and an ethernet Panelview. There's a possibility for future upgrades (PC/another PLC/etc...) so I don't want just a direct dial into the serial port of the SLC. I was looking at getting a LAN modem to dial into the ethernet. I searched this site and came up with info on an ethernet LAN modem from 3COM, but on 3COM's site it says the 56k LAN modem is dicontinued. Is this still available? Or is my only option the pricey AB 9300-RADES?

There was a recent thread regarding exactly this subject.

The 3COM 3C886 is the mainstay of this kind of function, and they are still available new from lots of retailers (I just looked them up at Amazon and at CDW) for around $200.

The Rockwell RADES is better packaged (I like the 24 VDC power and the DIN-rain mounting), but the only compelling reason to buy one is if you want A-B to support it for you. That's they whole reason they started selling modems; they were tired of configuring modems for users who were unfamiliar with them.

IMHO unless you have a brutal environment, the 3C886 works just fine.

When I have used them, I just did a dial-up-networking connection and got an IP address via PPP protocol on the network that was local to my controllers.

I did see that thread, and am aware of the 3COM modem. I also searched and found a few of them for sale, but I wasn't sure if this was just remaining stock or they are still being produced.

I don't really want to give my customer an item that is already discontinued. I'll check with 3com.

Thanks.

Marty,

You just may be forced to do just that. I've done some searching my self and it seems that the 3Com is the only 56K Lan Modem available.. the only other alternative would be a hodge-podge of other equipment.