Egress from Electrical Room - Canadian Regulations

rguimond

Lifetime Supporting Member
Dear members,

We were "dinged" during a recent safety inspection for not having an operational door knob on a door that services an electrical room. In fact, the door knob was removed. My guess is that it was removed at some time to comply with a code requirement that prevents the use of a door knob on a door providing egress from an electrical room.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that doors servicing an electrical room fed with a 1200A (or larger) entrance may only have a panic-bar opener on the inside. However, I can't find the code reference in the Canadian Electrical Code (2009). It may be in the National Building Code of Canada, but I don't have a copy handy.

If anyone if familiar with this requirement, would you be so kind as to provide the code reference(s)?

Thanks.