Micrologix 1100 Alarm

dmayhugh

I am trying to write logic from when a hopper is emptying. I have four level sensor.
1) Low Level
2) Mid-Low Level
3) Mid-High Level
4) High Level

When the bin is emptying I need to sound an alarm as each sensor is not sensing any material.

I originally had each bit going to an output to fire the horn. At this point the once the horn is silenced it is silenced untill all levels are not making the sensor. I need to reset the horn each time a new sensor is no longer made.

Here is what I have:
XIO High level or XIO Mid-High level, or XIO Mid-Low Level, or XIO low level, OTE Material not Present.

XIC Material Not Present, XIO Silence Alarm, OTE Material Not Present Alarm.

XIC Alarm Reset, or XIC Silence alarm, OTE Silence Alarm.

There is no HMI so there is the pushbutton to silence the Alarm (Alarm Reset).

How do I get the alarm to sound each time a sensor is not made?

Thank you,

If using a single alarm output for alarming of each level position, I think you would indeed use a "one-shot"...maybe a "one-shot" falling or rising to set the alarm bit. Depending on your signal. The alarm silence button would reset the alarm bit. Your reset then would likely be material being present for each alarm level, to arm that level.

Hope that makes sense.

Here you go, have a look at this, it should work for you.

If you had more alarm inputs, I would have done this using the B3:1 word and a compare statement to set a bit for triggering your horn.
This would be the cleanest way when dealing with lots of alarm inputs.

But since you only have 4 alarm inputs, I just paralleled them all on the horn output rung so you did not use up 2 words for 4 bits.

BCS

Attached is a generalized example of what Garry suggested. Don't use it as a working program as it may not do as you intended.
Also attached is a printout of Bering C Sparkys file

Last edited:
Attached is a generalized example of what Garry suggested. Don't use it as a working program as it may not do as you intended.
Also attached is a printout of Bering C Sparkys file

Will RSLogix500 on the Micrologix platform let you use One Shots on parallel rungs like you show in Garry's suggestion.
I thought that it would not....which is why I arranged it the way I did.

I have been away from AB for a while now and forgetting the rules for each platform ?

BCS

Last edited:
Will RSLogix500 on the Micrologix platform let you use One Shots on parallel rungs like you show in Garry's suggestion.
I thought that it would not....which is why I arranged it the way I did.

I have been away from AB for a while now and forgetting the rules for each platform ?

BCS
You are correct, it will not allow One shots as I had shown and your method is right. I used LogixPro from TheLearningPit to develop my ladder and did not check it out in RS500.
I'm sure you saw where I said it was just a generalized example and not really a working program. That is why I put in the disclaimer.

Not that this helps but last year I designed and built a circuit board with LED status indicators that accomplishes exactly the same thing as what you are looking for. It uses one chip (a quad Schmitt trigger) and a transistor to sound the beeper. Yes, I felt pride....

You are correct, it will not allow One shots as I had shown and your method is right. I used LogixPro from TheLearningPit to develop my ladder and did not check it out in RS500.
I'm sure you saw where I said it was just a generalized example and not really a working program. That is why I put in the disclaimer.

Right on,

I figured that was the reason you put that but just wanted to confirm for my own piece of mind.

Being away from AB for so long, I am starting to forget what little I actually know.
(You don't use it - You lose it)

(Hopefully that does not apply to everything....since I am stuck on this ship away from the wife for months at a time) :unsure: 🤞🏻

BCS

Last edited: