rsl5k missing firmware

PLC Pie Guy

hey all.
probably an easy one for you.
just downloaded 525 drive firmware v 5.01. As I am sure I have done before. Control flash gives me the option to flash to v5, however, rsl5k will allow me to add a drive with rev 5, but not change an existing drive to rev 5.
I'm using software version 20.18

What am I missing here?

thanks

Last edited:
PF525 Firmware is a separate entity; it is the VFD's "Operating System".

You will need its RSL5K AOP (Add On Profile) though to add it to a controller project; usually, the AOPs are installed with the software, if the user chooses it though at install time.

You might find the PF525 V5.0 AOP on the RSL5K install media, or, if the VFD firmware was not released at the time the software version was, you could download it at:

http://compatibility.rockwellautoma...2&refSoft=1&toggleState=&versions=55295,53895

Choose AOP for PowerFlex 523 & 525 Drives v1.05.00

Ok, sounds fair, however, I would think that the AOP is already there as I CAN add a new drive as a v5 but I can't change an existing v4 drive to v5.

Ok, sounds fair, however, I would think that the AOP is already there as I CAN add a new drive as a v5 but I can't change an existing v4 drive to v5.

Major VFD firmware revision changes usually require deleting of the old module and a fresh install of the new firmware AOP(with the same Device Name!); it probably is an Apple to Orange type replacement especially when addressing the PF500 series VFDs.

Never mind... What dmargineau said just above. Changing the major rev in the PLC can SOMETIMES be done, while offline, but usually it is just better to delete the drive in the IO tree, and add then correct one.

This can't be done online, as it may result in tag changes of the actual drive (which is a pain).

OK, That's what Ill have to do,, Just a PITA that I cant simply change the drive definition to the new rev.

Thanks for the responses!

I've always been able to change them (offline, and then a download, of course) without having to delete and re-create.

You can also use the Match Drive or Upload options in the same window as you use to change the firmware, if the firmware you want isn't available.

I've always been able to change them (offline, and then a download, of course) without having to delete and re-create.

You can also use the Match Drive or Upload options in the same window as you use to change the firmware, if the firmware you want isn't available.

1.I'm sure I've done it that way as well, not sure why its giving me guff now.

2.I could do that, but I'm trying to get a jump on my weekend work and have this done in the program before hand. That's all.

Thanks for the reply.