Rockwell Software and VM's

Old No. 7

We're working on updating our Rockwell VM's and I was curious what others are doing. It seems like the only way to support everything we need is to have two VM's - Windows 7 (64 bit) and Windows XP (32 bit).

The Windows 7 VM would have all of the newer software - Studio 5000 V21-V29, RSLogix 5000 V19-V20, RSLogix 500 V11, RSLinx V3.9

The Windows XP VM would have legacy applications that won't run on Windows 7 and/or 64 bit machines - RSLogix5000 V13-V18, FTView 6.0 (for the database conversions), RSLinx V3.6

Is there any reason to keep an older version of RS500?
Would you install all of the versions of Studio/Logix 5000? There are some versions that we have never used (22, 23, 25+).

Any advice on the best setup?

RSLogix (I believe it starts at 13.03) can run on windows 7 32 bit OR 64 bit. All you have to do is slipstream the .Net 1.1 runtime for the install. Here is a link to the instructions:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ows-7-64/eb1e6232-e874-432e-ab43-17660e25e43d

Once done, you can install your legacy RSLogix back to 13.03. You can install 11 and 12 but they will not run, as when you open a project it will crash. If you are a contractor, I suggest keeping an XP VM with only 11 and 12 installed in order to back up a program and perform a firmware upgrade to 13 so that it won't be an issue in the future.

If these are plant computers, you can easily just upgrade the firmwares to 13 and then get rid of the XP VM's. This will eliminate the need for them.

FTView should also run just fine on 7 once you have installed the slipstreamed .Net framework.

Then you can keep all relevant versions of Logix on a single VM.

Just curious. Do you know which versions of RSLogix (if any) are compatible with Windows 10?

You should start your own thread to ask a question, as it is good etiquette. I'm not sure if any are listed as compatible, though. I have had some running on 8 just fine, but I would stick with 7 and a VM for a production computer.

Sorry to barge in, but just out of curiosity do you take any special precautions with the VM creation?

When moving VM's between computers does the license remain valid?

Just curious. Do you know which versions of RSLogix (if any) are compatible with Windows 10?

Studio 5000 Logix Designer version 30.00 is the first Logix software that Rockwell officially supports on Windows 10, Professional 64-bit and Enterprise 64-bit only. For a little while I ran Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, and really only had a few blips on version 21. I left Windows 10 for other reasons though. Windows 7 Pro 64-bit seems to have the best compatibility coverage for the Rockwell software I typically use. The evil of Rockwell is that they force you to keep 50 different OS's (exaggeration, of course) on hand to use all of their software.

RSLogix 500 version 11.00 is officially supported on Windows 10 Professional 32/64-bit and Enterprise 32/64-bit. I had version 9.05 working on my Windows 10 Pro 64-bit working just fine though.

Last edited:
Studio 5000 Logix Designer version 30.00 is the first Logix software that Rockwell officially supports on Windows 10, Professional 64-bit and Enterprise 64-bit only. For a little while I ran Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, and really only had a few blips on version 21. I left Windows 10 for other reasons though. Windows 7 Pro 64-bit seems to have the best compatibility coverage for the Rockwell software I typically use. The evil of Rockwell is that they force you to keep 50 different OS's (exaggeration, of course) on hand to use all of their software.

RSLogix 500 version 11.00 is officially supported on Windows 10 Professional 32/64-bit and Enterprise 32/64-bit. I had version 9.05 working on my Windows 10 Pro 64-bit working just fine though.

Thanks. I had a client inquire about upgrading their PLC programming workstation to Win 10. I'll recommend that they don't. They currently have Win 7 Pro 64 bit with RSLogix major firmware versions 15 through 20.

Thanks. I had a client inquire about upgrading their PLC programming workstation to Win 10. I'll recommend that they don't. They currently have Win 7 Pro 64 bit with RSLogix major firmware versions 15 through 20.

I agree. I think by upgrading to Windows 10 they are only asking for problems. W7 is still a great OS IMHO, even though it is being phased out. I wouldn't let go of it if I were them especially if they are still using older Revs like that.

Nothing wrong with Windoze 10 - depends what you are running. Best Windoze yet for mine. You can run what you like in a VM.

Nothing wrong with Windoze 10 - depends what you are running. Best Windoze yet for mine. You can run what you like in a VM.

Windows 10 is very aesthetically pleasing I think. If you are running VM's for your programming software, then that is a separate deal altogether. Running older Rockwell Revs (pre v21) of Logix on Windows 10 didn't work out well for me even with changing the compatibility mode setting. Eventually, Windows 10 just decided to stop working for me which is why I jumped ship. Just ran into too many compatibility hurdles. I even had to buy a new printer because my old one's drivers didn't work with 10. Figure I'll wait awhile longer for MS to get some bugs worked out before I try again.

We all have different experiences I guess - I normally use Omron and it is fine in Windoze 10 - I also run Classic Shell to get rid of the Windoze 10 'clutter' - hate that! Now looks like Windoze 7. I have had rpobelms with Windoze 10 printer drivers as well - had to buy a new plotter! $3000 later!

Omron is the only PLC software I run direct in Windoze - CX-One that is. The new Sysmac Studio I run in a VM. All other PLC software runs in a VM on Windoze 7 or 10.
Hate the new tag based stuff - too slow to write software! Ruddy Europeans! Never mind - I am a keyboard man and hate drag and drop - get RSI doing it! Just like to program using numbers.

RSLogix (I believe it starts at 13.03) can run on windows 7 32 bit OR 64 bit. All you have to do is slipstream the .Net 1.1 runtime for the install. Here is a link to the instructions:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ows-7-64/eb1e6232-e874-432e-ab43-17660e25e43d

Once done, you can install your legacy RSLogix back to 13.03. You can install 11 and 12 but they will not run, as when you open a project it will crash. If you are a contractor, I suggest keeping an XP VM with only 11 and 12 installed in order to back up a program and perform a firmware upgrade to 13 so that it won't be an issue in the future.

If these are plant computers, you can easily just upgrade the firmwares to 13 and then get rid of the XP VM's. This will eliminate the need for them.

FTView should also run just fine on 7 once you have installed the slipstreamed .Net framework.

Then you can keep all relevant versions of Logix on a single VM.

Interesting. I don't think we ever used anything prior to v13, so that would work. There's no way to avoid needing a 32 bit VM for Panelview conversions though is there?