Christmas came early this year for rockwell software updates, see link

I dunno, MOVE will always be MOV in my heart, that was in the Reddit thread's comments and holds true to me as well.

maybe they're trying to get their instruction mnemonics closer to other large manufacturers? I dont have much experience with the other big boys, just AB and automation direct mostly.

It does say "In this version of the Logix Designer application, the mnemonics for these instructions have been updated to align with IEC 61131-3 and PLCopen standards."

But why take all these years to do it?

Cheers

Mark

I understand updating to be compatible with standards, but my fingers won't like the change. I wonder if it'll know what I mean if I automatically type MOV instead of MOVE...

It does say "In this version of the Logix Designer application, the mnemonics for these instructions have been updated to align with IEC 61131-3 and PLCopen standards."

But why take all these years to do it?

Cheers

Mark

Because they are not dominating the market like they used to... or they feel they are losing ground. In my opinion.

They used to be able to write their own rules but I believe this has run its course. Especially since the supply chain issue. Users (us) want compatibility across the board since we've been forced to use whatever brand may be available. This may have little to do with their instruction set but surely with third party field bus drivers.

How many manuals have you seen where you have step by step instructions for an AB PLC but can't seem to get it to work with another brand?

Last edited: