IFIX login/security errors (v4.0)

phuz

Suddenly, we have an issue with IFIX (v4.0).

I don't know if any patches were pushed by IT (they say no, but...), but when a user tries to login now (which is on windows security), the login itself happens successfully, but when calling the System.FixGetUserInfo method, it is returned with "user not registered within security". Why would this happen all of the sudden?

Looks like your IT department made some changes to the domain's Active Directory Groups and Policies editor because they saw "oh wow, why does this user have administrative privileges?" Got a new IT guy by chance?

Have someone come down and test it by escalating user rights and see if the error goes away.

Looks like your IT department made some changes to the domain's Active Directory Groups and Policies editor because they saw "oh wow, why does this user have administrative privileges?" Got a new IT guy by chance?

Have someone come down and test it by escalating user rights and see if the error goes away.

It's the same IT group at this customer, and this error occurs for ANY user, including the operators. Everyone can actually login, but everyone also gets that answer and the variables fail to populate with that method.

Are you referring or iFix users or Windows users? You mentioned it used windows users to log on, but are they logging on with domain credentials or local credentials?

If the computer user name is in the form of <company domain>\<user name> they are logging on with domain credentials.

If the user login is in the form of <user name> then it is a local user.

Even if the local user exists on a computer, domain credentials will "over-rule" the local user account.

What version of Windows is this? I would highly suggest you get your IT guys to help you troubleshoot this issue as it seems likely that "computer user" permissions are the culprit, be they domain credentials or a local user account, and should be the first thing you check.

These are "windows-linked" users.
When I open the SCU, and security, all the users exist, so I am not sure why System.FixGetUserInfo is returning this error message even though IFIX is logging them in.

If I create a simple button using System.Fixlogon "user", "password" I get the same error. So are the accounts not synchronized anymore? I ran the security synchronizer but maybe I didn't do it correctly.

Last edited:
What I am getting at here, is there is a big difference between a local computer user and a domain user.

I'm not sure what that method contains, but it is irrelevant here. The problem is pretty simple. iFix is trying to access a file it either cannot find, cannot read, or does not have permissions for.

So IFIX security synchronizer runs, and all the users exist in the SCU security, and the system actually logs the user in, but follows up with the "user not registered within security" message, and System.FixGetUserInfo fails to populate the data. So it's partially working.

I am not sure about differences between domain and local user.

I just tested by adding a new user that is NOT windows-linked and it logged in fine without errors, and the System.FixGetUserInfo returns the right data.

So....domain and IT related issue?

I just tested by adding a new user that is NOT windows-linked and it logged in fine without errors, and the System.FixGetUserInfo returns the right data.

So....domain and IT related issue?

Most likely yes, but you should be providing support for them on this one too. A "windows user" and a "domain user" are NOT the same thing. You can "windows-link" to a domain user, but the other would be a local user on the computer.

If YOU added the user, then it is likely that the windows-linked users are domain users and for whatever reason have had their permissions changed, so IT should be able to clear that up for you.

Other than that, that is all I can tell you with the information you have provided.

Most likely yes, but you should be providing support for them on this one too. A "windows user" and a "domain user" are NOT the same thing. You can "windows-link" to a domain user, but the other would be a local user on the computer.

If YOU added the user, then it is likely that the windows-linked users are domain users and for whatever reason have had their permissions changed, so IT should be able to clear that up for you.

Other than that, that is all I can tell you with the information you have provided.

Correct, but there are NO windows users. Everything comes down from the domain.

Okay, then your IT guys have changed permissions somewhere and caused this issue. The user running iFix no longer has full access to the files in the iFix directory.

The policy should be: the users that access the HMI are in a group that has full access to those files. New users would be added to that group so that they don't have issues with iFix 4.0.

Last edited:
I removed a user and ran the sync tool, and it came back from the domain.
Still same error. IT claims no changes were made.

The policy should be: the users that access the HMI are in a group that has full access to those files. New users would be added to that group so that they don't have issues with iFix 4.0.

Users have full access to all paths listed in the SCU. Not a file permission issue.

Well if that isn't the case, then I'm really not sure what is happening, but you being able to create a new user and log right in is a clue as to what is happening. Now you will have to look at differences between the one that works and the ones that don't. Other than that I'm out of ideas.

Well if that isn't the case, then I'm really not sure what is happening, but you being able to create a new user and log right in is a clue as to what is happening. Now you will have to look at differences between the one that works and the ones that don't. Other than that I'm out of ideas.

Exactly. I got GE on the phone now, too. This one is a stumper, for sure.