Stand-alone encoder read

Has anybody ever heard of the following :

A stand-alone module that reads encoder pulse trains, calculates accel, decel, top speed and distance travelled, and then outputs this data serially, with a reset input to clear it for the next sample?

Thanks!

TM

Sounds like a job for an AD DL-06 .

The dc input model comes with a 5 hz counter, or you can buy a option card with a high speed counter. Serial com on port 2. Lots of math functions. Take a look.

Digging into it

Thanks guys,

The AD DL6 is a full-on PLC, and I've already got one o'those. The problem is, my HSC doesn't go anywhere near fast enough, so I'm looking for a work-around.

Peter:

I'd considered that also, but motion controllers are frippin' expensive, especially when I don't need "control", just a counter with a little built-in IQ.

There are some interesting pop-ups doing a search on Google for this using Data Acquisition as a search term. Among them, AD offers a Terminator IO unit that is right up my alley, except it doesn't support the Modbus protocol yet.

Still looking.

Thanks again!

TM

I worked on a system that had one of these on it but never had to actually work with the unit, just got the info in case.

I am not sure if it has multiple inputs or not, if it seems to fit the app then I would call them.